Weekend skier looking to upgrade my ski

Thejad

Hi, I’m currently skiing on a 90s dual boot O’Brien g2 Weapon. I’m looking to upgrade to something more current with out breaking the bank. Typically I go out on weekends, and don’t ski the course. Any recommendations?

• Baller

IMO speed is the least important aspect of open water skiing. You will drastically enjoy shorter lines at slower speeds compared to bouncing off those monster bumps 32 mph long line.

Of course to enjoy it you need a ski that doesn't stall in the turns.

• Baller
The HO Omni is my recommendation. Just stick with the regular Omni, not the Carbon. It would be a perfect ski for you. With the clean edge technology of HO and HO's unique bottom there is so much less drag on the Omni compared to other skis which is perfect for free skiing because you will be able to ski a lot longer without tiring.

I just bought a Radar Union this year and completed the course for the first time ever on it; all 6 buoys at 24 mph.

I open water ski at 28-30mph, and it performs very well. I love this ski.

Thanks @escmanaze great point - I think I fit the first category - love to get low and have hit my chest on sub optimal wakes. Thanks for sharing. I found a place close to me to go demo some skis, so I am heading out that way on Friday. I’ll keep everyone posted on the outcome. And that’s to everyone for the advice!

Quick update - went for 2 lessons / demo and was able to hit 5 of 6 balls on the course (15 off, 31 mph) on the final run and 4 on the two passes before. I was able to get a good deal on a 67” radar senate alloy 19 - appreciate the advice from everyone!