Edging

Horton

• Elite Skier
Something that seems to be left out of the technical discussion too often is the skier's vision. I feel like it is super important, but there are also a variety of ways it's done by the top skiers. Many times when I ask skiers where they are looking they don't even seem to know.

• Baller
@twhisper - couldn't agree more. Personally I've found that once wide enough, shifting forward vision cross course to the next buoy helps tremendously in maintaining good position and so much more. As I recall I picked up that tip from your site and was stunned when I first started practicing it as consciously looking cross course and the effects it had. Thank you!

• Baller

@twhisper - vision is critical for me. I also don't understand how anyone tilts their head over along the same axis as their lean, but I know some great skiers do it and it works for them, especially on their offside. Me, not so much. I have to have my head vertical and my vision down course at apex until the ski is back under the line.

• Elite Skier

Try walking on a slack line with your head tilted. Then, compare that feeling to standing on a 7" wide ski going 50 mph trying to maneuver precisely through the course.

It would be interesting to to be able to collect data on where all the best skiers are looking at exactly what point in the course.

• Baller_
In addition to vision is reaction. How and when you react to what you see in front of you. Vision and reaction to what you see in front of you is what sets skiers apart. We can all ski. We all just react different to what we see.

• Baller
@The_MS - agree. And the longer-distance your vision is (down-course, across-course, out in front of the boat, whatever), the easier it is to balance and react vs. short-distance vision (looking at the buoy for too long and as you get too close). I used to explain this to my students when I was teaching skiing by saying if I throw a snow ball at you from 10 feet away, you'll have difficulty seeing, processing, reacting, but if I throw one at you from 100 feet, you'll have no problem seeing, processing, and dodging it. Look down the hill, look two gates ahead (ski racing), see the buoy but look well beyond to a bigger picture.