Vegetation for backwash control

jeffmitchell

• Baller

I would think maybe cat tails?

There is an invasive species, I think called phragmites, here in Michigan that looks like it would be beyond awesome for that. But, it’s an invasive species and seems to take over areas if left on its own.

• Baller_

We are in the midst of removing phragmites from our lake. They are a great backwash dissipation feature and also provided excellent wind block, too (they can exceed 10 feet in height). However, as mentioned, they are invasive.

I wouldn’t recommend planting cat tails, unless you want more people telling you what you can do with your own lake.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators
I wish my fellow lake owners would let The Cattails take over. It would look awesome because we would have green around the lake instead of dirt and they would solve all backwash issues. But no...

• Baller
Cat tails work great. I planted several last fall to fix a backwash area and within 1 season, it's almost completely gone. Planning to plant several more this fall. As for being invasive, I don't believe they will grow in more than 3-4' ft of water and they haven't invaded other areas of the shoreline in 10+ years as the need to plant to more.

water lilies. justicia americana the scientific name, they are a rhizome. Used by housing development and kansaswildlife and parks for erosion. They spread 2-3 foot depth. Easily planted and will grow on rock and mud. Very tough can handle drought and extremely high water

• Baller

@LoopSki yes. Phragmites are a curse. They take over everything and nearly impossible to kill off without using a ton of chemicals. They have very razor sharp edges that will cut you as you walk through them and they have a plume at the top instead of the brown corn dogs.

If possible I would opt for putting in some rip rap rocks of good size #1-#2 range as the waves are broken up by the rocks. Small rocks or gravel does not work.

AB

• Baller_

We had the phragmites growing out as far as 15 feet from shore into 3+ feet of water and were expecting them to continue toward the middle of the lake. We contracted a company last fall to cut them down and, when they began to resprout as short juvenile plants, we had some chemical treatments. I think we've had 3 so far and I believe there might be one more included.

If I recall correctly, they are not individual plants in small numbers/clusters, but continue to spread and push up shoots from an integrated root system.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
One side of our lake is a dam- muskrats love cattails for food and that wasn't happy for the integrity of the dam. Depending on where the cattails are they can also block views of the slalom course from shore, and grow out to where its a hassle for the skier to walk out of the lake after a tournament fall. We have gone with 4-6 inch river rock in areas that are too steep for other options.

• Baller

As a young boy I grew up on the Maumee River. We fished, speared carp, and explored the various islands and coves as all kids will do. I went back to those areas of Lili Pads and cat tails after 30+ years of lake ownership and was shocked to only see a wall of phragmites in front of the little islands.

They have completely taken over the cat tails and Lily Pads.

These phragmites are a curse wherever they are. Keep them out at all cost.