Course skiing after neck surgery?

oneski

• Baller

I recently had neck surgery (2 level posterior cervical foraminotomy) and was curious to see if anyone else on BOS has had similar surgery and recovered enough to return to competing skiing? I know several folks in the skiing community that have had neck fusion surgery, and were able to return to skiing.

One of the reasons I choose to go with this surgery is that it leaves the discs in place, which means I should not lose any mobility in my neck. I’m hoping to get back on the water again next year, but I worry that the surgery my compromise some of the stability in my spine, and the risks associated with shortline skiing my not be worth taking. The Surgeon says I should be able to fully return to my prior activities within a few months, but I don’t think he quite understands the stresses on the body that come with short line course skiing.

Anyone here have any similar experiences?

• Baller
I believe CP had a cervical fusion. That’s a procedure where they remove a bad disc and place a bone graft in place to fuse two vertebrae together. It’s a fairly common procedure, usually with good outcomes. My concern was that I would have had needed 2 or 3 levels fused (removing 2 or 3 discs), which would have limited my neck mobility, as well as ended my skiing days.

• Baller
@oneski I completely agree with you. Nothing with these incredible surgeons we have in our works today but they don’t quite get the stress , loads , forces and a lot of times taking the hit in a unbalanced position. My father aka Arnold had the fusion and he hasn’t had any problems or reoccurring symptoms and that was quite a while ago. It was when artificial disc was just an experiment and not quite out yet. I ended up having C5 / C6 artificial disc replacement and it took a long time to fully fully recover 100% and I was quite surprised that it took longer than expected to be back on the water. The upside to this is that you’re giving the rest of your body to really heal and repair itself. That was one thing that really stood out when I got back on the water. I hope this helps and wish you a speedy recovery!! Take care - CP

• Baller
Lyman, which procedure did you have done? Fusion, ADR, or Foraminotomy?......I herniated a disc in my neck 4 years ago and after taking that season off I focused on strength and conditioning in the winter, and returned the following year to set a PB. (And also got on the podium at LL at Regionals)....The surgery I just had is a bit more serious than a herniated disc, but I’m hoping I can return to the water once again.....and stronger and better.

I had a hemi-laminecotmy in November 2019 on the right side of C6/7. It worked but unfortunately the disc slipped out of place late December 2019 and I had no choice but to have a anterior cervical disectomy fusion at the same location in January 2020. I believe i had the best neurosurgeon in the Detroit area and showed him a video of hard-core course skiing and needed some assurances that i could return to competitive skiing which he believes i can. Time will tell. I'm only 5 weeks post-op so it's too early to tell but appreciate everyone's input and stories about their back/spine issues. I'll be 50 this summer but in no way ready to give this up. If anyone has any information or would like to share their experience, I'd love to hear from you. Keep chasing buoys!