Remanufactured Engines Recommendations?

georgert

• Baller
I fried the motor of my boat this summer. It is a Mercruiser 5.7 liter Competition Ski engine. I am going to need to replace the block, although the cyclinder heads, and all the other bolt-on parts are in good shape. Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for any companies who sell a remanufactured engine that I can have shipped to Salt Lake City? Thanks.

• Baller

MichiganMotorZ....

5.7 Long Block appx $2400 rebuilt 1 yr warranty

NEW Marine long block from GM $2900 2yr warranty

shipping available...

Purchased a new GM long block for my Malibu.

If it needs a just short block how do you know the heads are good? Depending how bad you “fried” your motor you may have damaged the heads as well. Have the skills to build a short block to a turn key unit?

Lot easier to bolt on the intake, distributor and accessories and go skiing with a warranty.

JMHO...

• Baller

@Jetsetr not doubting you, but where are you getting a new long block marine GM for $2900?

I’ve had a few rebuilds between boats and trucks. Jasper, ATK from Summit, local “high end” rebuild, and on most previous rebuild for my 93 SN I opted to go with an ATK again as I’ve felt they were the best so far.

• Baller

oouayelayqcp.png

sj3x0i9pasei.png

Michigan Motorz....

For my boat the part number is 5700-preV 1987-1995 pre Vortec Head 275 HP

The info above is for the 1986 or older 5.7 same price as my engine.

Not sure which year he needs an engine for...it wasn’t mentioned.

The newer engines with aluminum heads are more expensive...

Looked at ATK as well...

• Baller
I appreciate everyone's comments. The reason I believe the heads to be good is because the shop pulled the heads, replaced the valves and had the heads ground thinking that the sole issue was warped heads and blown cylinder head gaskets. However, once it was started back up the engine is knocking so the thinking is that there are other problems with the rods/bearings, etc. The recommendation was to keep the heads (and all the other parts and just get the basic engine block and guts. If anyone has any other thoughts on the matter, please dive in.

• Baller

If it was knocking (rod bearings/wrist pins) prior to having the heads worked on it’s definitely time for a new shop...

Steel heads are not worth much...use them as book ends (or launch them thru the window of the shop that took your money for work that didn't solve the problem) and get a new or reman long block with a warranty. Depending on your plans for the boat (keeping it a long time or selling sooner than later) would be my factor between new or reman. I’m my case the boat only has 304 hours so for $500 more new was the way to go.

• Baller_

@"Keith Menard" - Yes, bumped hp up quite a bit and went all aluminum.

@georgert - what year is your boat / engine? If pre '96 it will have old style heads so 240 hp, if '96 or newer, 310 hp Vortec heads. That may influence your decision, along with the question of who is going to assemble a short block > full engine for you.

• Baller

My 1993 5.7 GM “Magnum” carb engine is 275Hp (same as the FI engine), my 1989 Ford 351 carb engine is 240hp...

The standard 5.7 GM is 260Hp.

Significant bump in Hp (less weight as well) for the Vortec SBC...you also have to use the transmission adapter for the old style transmissions (automotive I KNOW you do, assuming (dangerous) you do for the marine application as well) if you go to the Vortec engine, different exhaust manifolds and of coarse you need all the electronics. Gets pricy FAST...but a fair Hp boost.

But it’s VERY easy to build a standard 5.7 to well over 400Hp on pump gas...

That also opens another whole can O’Worms, because now you have to re-prop ($$) to take advantage of the horsepower your making...

Comes down to how much $$$$ you want to spend...

• Baller_
@Jetsetr - I am sure you know one can do a Vortec style head update and stay carbed (if the current one is) via aftermarket heads with both intake manifold bolt patterns. You can also mod the exhaust manifold ports to fit a bigger exhaust port if needed. You do have to tune the prop to match the hp output. (typo on my part on the standard SBC hp, was simply pointing out the power difference between the old / Vortec heads). Where are you seeing the weight savings on the Vortec heads? Assuming you are thinking aluminum parts.

• Baller

Regarding prop one can usually best stay the same, just let the engine breath and spin and make power. Metalugrgically a std small block bottom end is good for 5500 rpm all day, with maybe premium rod bolts for insurance if it feels better to do something to it. building a stroker is usually the delineation point for addressing prop, higher available torque at all rpms and to keep piston speeds in check, benefit from more bite.

• Baller

@DW yes, you’re correct...my friend was going to donate a LS-1 for my boat...was confusing LS-1 vs Vortec...my mistake....

I thought about it for about 3 minutes and decided to stick with the 5.7 Magnum. A lot of messing around to marine-ize the LS-1-cam, exhaust, trans adapter, electronics etc etc...