Dex-Cool drain on 2012 6L block

mlange

• Baller

Need to do new dex-cool on a new to me 2012 SN 200. Looks like it's never been done before.

Is the block drain on the 6L a 16mm or 17mm hex bit? It's been a bitch to get out with the SAE size I've been using, which is a bit small, so want to make sure if I'm going to crank on it that I use the right size.

Is the only way to get the starboard side plug out to remove the starter? Hoping someone has a trick for me.

What are people doing to make this easier for future changes? Drain lines? Seacocks?

Thx,

Mike

I just got a new to me 2012 team with the 409 and wasn't sure if the coolant had been flushed since new. Based on the paint still being unbroken on the heat exchanger drain I am confident it had never been drained. Here is what I did to maximize the amount of new DEX-COOL I could get into the system without having to loose my mind. I drained the heat exchanger, easy. I then disconnected the heater hose line from above the heat exchanger and on the forward starboard lower side of the engine and used my Jabsco oil extractor on a bucket with a super long suction tube to snake up into each of the cooling hoses. Did the same with the large hose coming out of the circulating pump. After reconnecting all the hoses I was able to get almost 2 jugs (gallons) of DEX-COOL into the cooling system. I am happy with that!