Reflex SuperShell 5.0 Water Ski Binding

ROBOT

• Baller
@Rednucleus the boot itself is the one I have used for five years. The extras are basically marketing, some items may be of use to some skiers, but I have not adopted any of them. I do however make modifications to any/all boots I use to make them perform best for my needs and my skiing style. I do recommend that shell as a great option for most skiers.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@Drago - Yep, canting is good, right? I wish I didn't have to worry about things like canting and water flow over the binding, but unfortunately for some reason, I'm overly sensitive to the stance my binding puts me in over the ski and how it moves through the water when the ski is on edge. I've tried hardshells a few times and they have been just so far from being a good setup for me because of the lack of canting, water catching buckles, etc, that I keep going back to rubber. Heck, I have to cant my rubber D3 Leverage front binding to make it work. I'm thinking about trying this Reflex to see if I can adjust it into a workable stance.

• Baller
@jimbrake it can be difficult to transition to a hardshell boot, especially with you having the issues you mention. Going to a hardshell boot can exaggerate any stance issues and cause undesired movement of the ski. The stiffer the boot, the more you may experience undesired movement of the ski. I like this basic shell because it flexes better in the cuff and upper portion of the lower shell. One modification I always do is to lower the height of the cuff to further reduce the adverse influence of movement of your leg, giving more control to your foot, where your balance and control originate. Smaller buckles can help if you are noticing drag, but water should not be directly hitting the boot that much.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Cuff alignment and canting are two different things that mixed up a bunch.

canting adjustment is changing the sole of the boot angle of the lower shell by grinding or sanding. very common in snow ski race boots.

cuff alignment is just the upper cuff that adjust side to side but it only adjust the top

I have found that sanding the lower( bottom of the shell) to get leg alignment to fit the skier works very well. I Grind them in or out. it depends where and how you want the knee to travel

ever put a reflex shell on a flat table they rock all over the place. I have been sanding the bottom of shells for years, after I heat and flatten the sole.

I will to start a new thread and get some detailed pictures