Exciting times in our Fantastic sport!

GaryWilkinson

• Baller

I turned 60 this past summer and have lived (and skied) through the era of highest popularity and lows of almost obscurity.

And this year I’ve done some reflecting on how far we’ve come.

While at one time during our peak in participants and coverage, there were weekly televised tournaments covered by ESPN, 2 magazines dedicated to waterskiing and a few of you might recall Camille Duvall winning 100k$ Of prize money in 1 season !

My goal back then was to get to do 1 ball at the then world record rope length -38 off.

What?! What?!

While numbers are down for various reasons that have been debated in here on many, many threads, I believe we are in some great times

-Right Now!

The equipment is better,...

Skis perform better, from the lowest to the highest price point, the major manufacturers products allow everyone to ski, and ski well.

Bindings provide better control and safety

Gloves allow longer sets and more buoys,

Ropes are (slightly) more forgiving and also contribute to more and safer passes.

Boats have more consistent speeds and tracking. (I know, I drove some world champions behind twin merc’s On a hydrodyne)

Those consistencies along with fantastic technology, creature comforts and downright luxury make a day on the water pulling your buddies a true pleasure. (Thanks Diane L. for your many sets at the helm)

Truly, I am grateful to be able to be able to safely ski at a decent level with my tremendous friends that I ski with every day, and the new ones that I’ve (re-)gained since coming back into competition this past year.

And, I believe I may still get that 1-ball at 38 off.

Fantastic!

I hope you all feel same.

• Supporting Member
I’ll bump this all day, @GaryWilkinson. Well said and drew me in like an infomercial. Well done! Oh man, didn’t Sammy go 200 on sub 80 inch jumpers? Those were some crazy days! Can we get Sam & Cam on an Episode?