Maximizing Buoy Count with Trick Ski

Luzz

• Baller

During the great Ski Freeze or Die competition yesterday, I opted for turning buoys on a trick ski. I managed to get 2.5@43off at 21.1mph, which gave me as an Open Men a surprising high buoy count of 74.5, equaling (if I understand this correctly) 2.5@15off 36mph.

What do you think is the max buoy count one could get on a trick ski? No fin added, having to make the gates… so "legit" trick slaloming.

I can see myself handling faster speeds up until 38off, but at 39off you need to start using the zig-zag technique, so I am not sure you can go too fast.

Thoughts?!

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Administrators

@Luzz I've always stayed between 18 and 20 miles an hour.

If you are running 41 off that is amazing. I think we need to see some video.

• Baller_

@Eltorro does this also. He has not gotten through 41yet but skis it at 20 mph and opens up at 28 off.

"Note" his opening pass includes 6 flips and a couple of 180 backs around the bouy.

I think @Luzz probably has the unofficial world record for slippery slalom!

• Baller
I’ve pulled quite a but of slippery slalom with the collegiate skiers. Most skiers opt for 17 or 19. I’ve pulled Austin Rodgers into 43 a few different times and very regularly deep into 41. Best slippery slalom we had was setup in a head to head format (very similar to Big Dawg) at Trophy Lakes, with a final between Austin Rodgers and Nellie Roberts - both getting into 43 off.

• Baller

@Zman I encouraged Brett to try running the slalom course on his trick ski since he tricks a lot but seldom slalomed. After a few tries he got the hang of it and has moved on to running passes on a slalom ski.

Running the slalom course on a trick ski is great crossover training and helps work on technique. I use it regularly in early season training to help get in shape. And yes, I have regularly run into 41off on my trick ski...but no flips included!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Joel's video is impressive, nice off-side technique there. Here's my first attempt at 39off at 23mph.

I can see myself getting used to 23mph and knocking down a few buoys at 41off, so 3@41 at 23mph = 3@43 at 21.1mph. Which meaaaans… = 3@39off at 25mph. Gotta have to try that next

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller_
This was something growing up my dad, mom, and myself used to do regularly as it was the only way we could all "compete" with each other and usually led to some pretty gnarly crashed through the wakes from my dad and myself, I don't think I ever beat him but would love to see a full event of just this!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾