HO Omni or HO Syndicate S2 or Radar Vapor

jordan12345

I'm 5'11", 140lbs, 25yrs old. I have some spunk left in me but with a wife and two kids don't have the guts to do the fun stuff on a wakeboard anymore. I've been a boater all my life but this will be my second year of focussing almost exclusively on slalom skiing. I want a ski that I can grow from "intermediate" to "advanced" on. Nothing that is $1000+... I'd rather ski a wood plank than spend that kind of money. Note: I'll probably try and buy something used for <$300. So, what is the middle ground? Omni, Syndicate, Vapor or something else? Leaning towards a 65-67" with double boot. Thoughts?

• Baller

What level are you currently skiing? Line length, speed, buoys, free skiing?

At your size and price range, there’s everything in the world available on Ski-it-again. I don’t know anything about the Omni, but the 2016/2017 Vapor is one of the best ski shapes ever made. I loved the S2 but if you’re not able to understand what that ski is asking from you, it may be too technically demanding. As for other skis, there’s a bunch of Connelly GT’s and a few D3 Arcs in your size/price range. Both of those skis are phenomenal. A 2018 Senate would be the Unicorn. That thing is awesome. Any of those and I’m sure I’m leaving some out.

• Baller
I think the Omni would be the perfect ski for you. It is so easy to ski yet is capable of taking you to quite short lines. It is easy to get up on and is so easy on your body because of what HO calls its clean-edge technology which eliminates much of the drag of a normal ski. Because of this it is fast and is so easy to maintain your outbound direction with a tight line. I think this ski is a real game changer.

Beginner/intermediate but I think I can get a lot better, very quick. Mainly open water skiing but I plan to start running a course consistently this year. Ski ~30mph. Have always skiied a full line but I expect that to change with wanting to do the course this year.

@BraceMaker I had a thread asking if I bought the right ski for my wife (bought a carbon Omni for her). I asked quickly for opinions for myself but wanted to do some research and then make my own thread to get specific recommendations for me. This I bring some criteria and get all your feedback :)

I found a 2015 s2 on ski it again the other day which is what started the debate for me on what I should get. In someone else's thread on here I read that the s2 is very forgiving. @aupatking your comments seem to contradict (which is allowed).

• Baller
From what I felt on the few rides I had on the S2, it wanted the skier ,very much, on the front of the ski as you approach the buoy/turn. It seemed very particular about that but, when given what it wanted, was incredible. I don’t know that I would suggest that ski for someone just beginning course skiing. It will ski good, and feel good, but I think you’ll be able to ski better on a ski that allows a little more wiggle room

Well the s2 was for sale for 300 plus shipping. Shipping was 125... couldn't talk her down any so I guess it is back to the hunt. Thanks all for your input. Sounds like i can't go wrong with any of them... they may just have different learning curves or preferences on how they wish to be ridden. That does not scare me in the least. I can learn to be happy as long as it is quality. Thanks!