A new kind of electric car....a better application for an electric boat?

Jordan

• Baller

Is it April 1 already?

Sounds like the only issue is how much "fuel" it has to hold to maintain the same mileage, but I wound not mind stopping to refuel more if it means .38 per gallon and keeping the same size take we have now.

• Baller

It's interesting in couple of ways. First thing is that they have a prototype that they have put 350,000 km on. Secondly, that the "fuel"/ electrolyte is a liquid makes building infrastructure to support rather simple.

On a thread on BOS some time ago (sorry can't remember which one) where we were discussing battery technology, @Than_Bogan made the point that It is difficult to anticipate breakthroughs because nobody has thought of them yet.

The part I find particularly interesting is that the "gas" tank is essentially the battery.

Another thing that holds promise is that existing service stations require little modification to be able to provide the bi-ion fuel. Just a change to the pumps and nozzles.

• Baller
I've worked on electric vehicle programs and fuel cell designs in my automotive career. This sounds like a fuel cell reformer system, that can run on salt water. The Holy Grail would be filtered sea water!!? Time will tell if it's real or bat-wings and mirrors.

Ernie Schlager