First go into the ski boat genre.

CPC_1

• Baller

@CPC_1 I currently have a 1989 ProStar (live in Minnesota), and there is a very good chance it will be up for sale in April, I'm working on upgrading mainly for space. If you're interested we can take it off line, but even if not I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about that year of boat. I've had mine for 25 years, been very reliable and great to ski behind. I upgraded to GT40 heads for a noticeable bump in power, the one area the boat was kinda lacking, especially with the 1:1 transmission. Quite a bit better for course skiing and footing. Regardless, good luck!

Kevin

• Baller
@BraceMaker I'm running the original 3 blade that came with the boat, likely the original prop from the factory. Can't remember the manufacturer offhand. I also have a 4 blade from the late 1990's, but I actually like the 3 blade better. The wake was a little firmer with the 4 blade, and top speed seems to be pretty close, so I just keep the 4 blade as a spare.

• Baller

There's really only 1 boat from that era that could be had for less than 10K that drives, tracks, and feels even remotely modern and that's the "No Wake Zone" Ski Nautique, 90-96. Still wood stringers from 90-92 but rot on those seems relatively rare compared to other wood boats from that era. I'd pick up a wood NWZ for the right price without hesitating. The build quality of those NWZ Nautiques is awesome. Sit in one and notice you can see right out the functional windshield, the seat is the right height and everything feels right where it should be. Not to mention they look incredible. If I had a sub-10K budget I'd get the cheapest 90-96 SN I could find (and that would most likely be on the older side of the spectrum).

You hear a lot of cheering for the 91-94 MC around here but the ergonomics, tracking/driving, and side spray are nowhere near the same era NWZ SN. Wake might be better but everything else is compromised.

b9jiu1wk0hiz.jpg

• Baller
@MDB1056, yeah I can add only because I used to work for a dealer then and they went composite stringers and floor in 85. Visually, these boats have the lighter, often white deck color repeated below the waterline. There may be a few odd ducks out there but by and large 85+ is the breakover. I concur the 190 would be superior.

@CPC_1 the NWZ hull is 19.6ft but I don’t know if they where ever badged a 196 like the later TSC hull Nautiques. It is not a 2001 Hull. I have a 1996 NWZ SN with the multi port EFI GT40 motor and perfect pass stargazer, while it’s not a modern ski boat like our clubs 2015 SN 200 by any stretch of the imagination it skis good and tracks well it, also has a really nice trick wake.

• Baller
@HMan66 @CPC_1 that's a nice MC. Skied one of those for 8 years...great boat. Super wake, handles awesome, rough in rough water like all real ski boats, has spray at shortline. Could prob get price down a little. My buddies was an '87, in really nice shape and same color as that one, high hours, and he sold for $6500.

• Baller
Agree with @HMan66 . That 88 for those hours is overpriced. Picked up a very nice 90 with only 500 hours and dual axle trailer a few years ago for my daughter. Was asking $8K and we bought for $6K. Yes that was a screaming deal but shows they're out there. If you love it offer $6K and see what they say. No downside.

• Baller

That’s my 88, I’m open to offers, worst thing I can do is say no. My cell 2487981958 if you’d like to chat!

I have a few other Prostars for sale as well, glad to chat. One is a 88, little rougher, 800 hours with new engine 200 hours ago. I’d take $6500 for that. It’s blue and gray.