Is there any way to check gas level

LoopSki

• Baller
Didnt expect it to be so nice today and was not prepared to ski. Since I don't remember how much I had end of season and all gas cans empty , I had to call it a no go. Don't feel like swimming in. Anyone figure out how to check level? For those that don't know the 2017 prostar gauge is no bueno. It is pegging out at past full. Can't use stick, and tank is too dark for visual.

• Baller
I pulled storage bin , stood on trailer and shook boat. Could hear gas swishing around. Probably would have been fine. Too late now. On the water that probably wouldn't work. Oh well next time. Still early in the season. Bummer as I have hernia surgery in two weeks and no skiing for 6 weeks after that. I will just have to fill it soon. Pain with gas cans as my boat rarely leaves my house.

• Administrators
I use the ProStar fuel management system. To double check and make sure that I haven't made an error of input I simply fill the tank all the way to the top. At that point I know I have 22 gallons. I set the fuel management system to full and I have nothing to worry about. The fuel management system in my opinion works better than any in tank gauge system.

• Baller

You can buy an LED a bore scope on eBay that can be connected to a cellphone for around $10. This one is Android based, but no doubt they make one for iphones as well. When curious about your gas level just pull this one of the glovebox (where you keep it in a waterproof bag) and go take a peek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-2M-5-5mm-6LEDs-Endoscope-Borescope-Waterproof-Inspection-Camera-for-Android/292560633392?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D7d43aa579e20457c8bcfe268e1e97a30%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D303125280160%26itm%3D292560633392%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

• Baller

@chrislandy basically yes.

Here's your trick, you stick a clear flexible rubber hose down into the tank, let it sit a few seconds then cap it with your thumb and extract the hose. It will have some quantity in the tube which will let you know roughly how much fuel there is so long as you fed it as close to vertical as possible and not too deep such that it bends at the bottom.

@epnault - I'm not sure if the 16 had it as an option - it might be something they can turn on at the dealership.

• Baller

The issue as I understand it is that the system needs to recalibrate, but only does with a full tank of gas (which is rare when kept on a lift, on the lake.) For us that trailer, and others that do fill up regularly as @Horton does, the gauge should be very accurate.

I believe the fuel management system is available with a software update for most, if not all, 2014 and after prostars.

• Baller_
@LoopSki - assume since you mentioned gas cans not really a feasible solution, but you could, if a truck scale convenient, always weigh the boat but you would have to have an 'empty tank' starting point and a pretty consistent set of scales.

• Baller
I heard there is a program where you answer if you put gas in the boat every time you start it, and it fixes the gas gauge issue. Can this be put on any 2014+ Prostar? Ran out again this evening, and had to swim it in for like the 4th time in less than a year...