Sportube 1 or 3

Dylan_wick

• Baller

@Dylan_wick the sportstube 1 will not work for you, you will not get your ski or any gear in it, sportstube 3 is the one, depends how you load it but you can get your ski and other gear in or though there is limitations on how much gear.

• Baller

@oldjeep - you must not have very long skis. I can't fit my alpine or tele skis in a 3 it's too short... I bought a 2 and my slalom fits with a sleeve but it is a little tight. Looking at the dimension difference between 1 and 2, I don't think I would be happy with the 1. If they added 10cm in length to the 3 I would have been all over it.

The only reason I bought a 2 instead of a 3 was to fit snow skis, if it wasn't for those, I would have bought the 3. Although if it wasn't for the snow skis I likely would have looked at a soft one-event roller bag.

• Baller

I agree with @jhughes I have a K2 soft bag and a Dakine soft bag that works flawlessly. The TSA always inspects my bags when I fly. I’ve heard many horrendous stories of the TSA doing a lousy job when trying to repack a SportTube, many times resulting in damaged gear. Use a soft sided bag with sufficient padding (towels, boardshorts, vests, etc.)

My Dakine bag easily fits 2 pair of 200 cm snow skis.

• Baller

I mean no offense, @dvskier...I had to laugh at your comment to the effect ‘use a soft-sided bag with sufficient padding (towel, vest, etc)’...because TSA is more likely to repack your soft bag and padding Mo Betta than they repack a Sportube? (I know the lock pin is the issue, moreso than repacking gear)

Sportube 3 with a safety strap (plenty of examples in other posts) is the best protection you can offer your ski. Using an ST AND a soft bag on the inside to organize your gear is money.

• Baller
@Oldjeep - how much extra length do you have? My teles are 185 and alpine are 188. I have to take the bindings of my teles to get both pair in my ST 2, both skis are about 105 underfoot, the width in the 2 is a problem.