Perfect Pass for 1995 Sport Nautique

WDKinley

• Baller

Hey crew,

I'm looking for advice when purchasing speed control on a budget.....

I see that perfect pass has basically three options.

Stargazer

Stargazer 3 event.

Stargazer 3 event plus z box.

Now.... I'm a 15-22 off 34 mph skier. (for now)

I think the best option for me $$$ wise right now is to pick up Stargazer and add the 3 event and z box at a later date.

I believe the basic stargazer times ball 3 and exit. I hear the new Stargazer 9.12 is quite a bit better on short setups (which I have) and locking in speed.

The interesting thing is my ski partner runs through 38 off at 34mph.... but he's probably not going to like the pull/wake anyway.

What are your thoughts on me just going with the basic Stargazer to get by for now? Or am I going to regret it and should just pony up the extra $$$ for the 3 event and z box?

Dwight

• Baller

In your shoes I'd either spring for the whole hog w/ Z-Box up front or just go with Wake S.

There is zero savings between buying Wake S and the Upgrade later versus Three event now (other than shipping). Both are going to have current software for the GPS slalom and can be run in straight RPM mode.

But there is about 160 bucks saved if you buy the whole package all at once with the Z-Box that doesn't happen anywhere else unless you negotiate.

• Baller
If you have the money get the stargazer with zbox. Your friend will think it’s acceptable and you will be able to learn a system that is close to what most are skiing behind. If you go skiing somewhere else chances are it will be a zo boat least you will be close to comfortable with it.

• Baller
Based upon what @Ski-Dad mentioned about adjusting mid course times I would aim for the 3-Event. I had to do a fair bit of background setting adjustment when I upgraded to V9.? in my '98. Out of the box you got a slightly fast 1 ball, super slow 1-3, then it hammered the throttle about the time you were turning 3. It was really frustrating to ski. It is easy to adjust as long as you can adjust it.

• Baller

My recommendation would be to get the 3 event but don't waste your money on the z-box. I say that - and my boat has z-box, but it just makes the pull worse and I don't even use it. I have a 97 SNOB with the 5.7 pro-ski engine.

Starting with version 9, they have integrated a mode called "simple slalom" and I have found that to be the best way to go.

I might hi-jack your thread here, but it might be a fight you want to see take place as it might influence your decision.

I am fully 100% convinced that controls as sophisticated as z-box were made for boats with DBW and simply are no good to cable throttle boats that just simply can't react fast enough to all that input anyway.

There are a few guys on here who think they have tuned their cable throttle boat with z-box to be basically just as good as ZO. I don't buy it for even half a second. I am super skeptical that they are getting the results they claim to be getting. Even IF they are - and that's a big IF, then they are total 1 in 1,000 unicorns and chances are really good that you will end up just like me just putting it in simple slalom and let it do it's best and chances are really slim that you will be one of those unicorns who becomes one with the z-box and knows perfectly how to adjust and tune it perfectly and nail it dead nuts on.

So in my opinion, z-box is a total waste of money for anybody who has a mechanical throttle. 3 event, however, does bring some nice features that I wouldn't want to live without.

Now let the haters roll in baby!! Bring it on!! I'm ready to bask and dance in the rain of the hatorade.

• Baller

I will say some tricks to older boats - People want the boat to feel more responsive while not having much total overall fluctuation.

To get there a few tricks.

PP only releases slack it doesn't add throttle - make sure you give it enough total throttle to work with.

More return spring strength improves how quickly PP will "release" the throttle - you might need more return spring but this might require you to buy and install a throttle cable brake - this is the commercial product;

https://www.amazon.com/SeaStar-Cable-Brake-Solutions-044386/dp/B000N9VGAG#customerReviews

But a split shaft collar that fits the cable sheath works better s59cqoauyatr.png

Faster release = less overrunning.

Prop - old boats might call for an acme 541 - you might do better with a 543 - try the different recommended props if you can. Try them with KX + and ++ to see if you get a firmer boat as some boats don't really have the engine to feel like PP so you get this round long acceleration bubble and then it falls off slowly.

After that play with the Zbx and baseline settings.