FlowPoint Method

• Baller_

Hey guys, some of you knew we were working on something behind the scenes, but we haven't said much about it yet. @JennyLaBaw and I have been pretty busy putting this program together, and we are happy to finally launch it to you all. We've already got over 100 videos, articles and pdf's dealing with every topic you can think of relating to becoming a better skier: Technical aspects of Water Skiing, Fitness, Nutrition, Mindset, daily programming for off-water workouts, as well as on water skiing ski sets, drylands drills, and huge discounts....and a lot more content in the pipeline.

Take a look at this video that explains a bit more about the program, and let us know if you have any questions we can help you out with!

We truly hope this platform becomes something that changes the game for a lot of competitive skiers, by giving them all the tools they need, in one place, to help them create lasting results on the water! For more info, check out https://www.flowpointmethod.com/the-program

• Baller_

@Dockoelboto @Skoot1123 thanks guys!

When building out the technical approach (theory and concepts) for FPM, it became apparent that the simplest & cleanest approach would be to develop a Water Sky Pyramid, based on a prioritization of key fundamentals responsible for sustainable progress. Athletic Stance is the base of that pyramid, and, as I mentioned in the vid, something that any skier of any ability level can return to throughout the season to keep in check. Problems can almost always be traced back in time to a more fundamental deficiency. Often, Athletic Stance is the culprit....the acceleration, the transition, the pre-turn...all require some form of Athletic Stance.

In the FPM content, we'll cover this basic fundamental from every angle possible, along with the other 8 fundamentals in the pyramid.

@Skoot1123 sounds like a great mother's day gift to me!! ;)

• Baller
I had a quick lesson last night from a guy who while not a pro is an extremely accomplished skier. He stressed balanced position on the ski and "athletic" stance. @MarcusBrown , for a novice skier, where being back feels safer being balanced on the ski feels terrifying. It felt like I was always on the verge of being too far forward. However the benefit was I actually felt the ski accelerate with ease and was actually using most of the ski and not just the tail. It felt good to actually understand, even if to a small degree, what a balanced athletic stance feels like.

• Baller_

@chris55 CP is one of the best in the game!

@Dockoelboto Thats great insight! And you aren't alone....often times, one of the biggest barriers to improvement for any skier, is overcoming the real fear of going out the front, when attempting to find a more balanced position on the ski. However, I think you truly felt that the more you trust the position of athletic stance, the more you end up actually decreasing the likelihood of going out the front.

When a skier's weight is back, the ski is almost always more tip-up, tail-down. Generally speaking, the more tip-up the ski is, the more drag it creates. The more drag a ski has, the more likely a skier is to go OTF.

Simplified concept, but you see (and I think you felt) how the flatter the ski is, the less drag it has....which gives you that more effortless acceleration into the wakes.

Thanks for sharing!

• Baller_

Ski Width does not equal True Width, before the buoy.

There are quite a few misconceptions in water skiing. The sport has suffered from a lack of true understanding, when it comes to how skiing works.

One of the greatest misunderstandings is the idea that projecting your ski and/or feet outbound, will get you width before the buoy. Actually, this idea couldn't be farther from the truth.

The number 1 determining factor when it comes to a skier gaining width (and space) before a buoy, is directly related to their ability to maintain rope tension through the transition and into the turn. The more rope tension the skier has, swinging out to the buoy, the more energy and "whip" they will receive from the boat. Now, I know this idea of "whip" sounds scary, but its actually what all good skiers do. The more energy you can harness from the boat, moving outbound from centerline, the higher you will swing around the boat....and the sooner you will get to that 'high' point beside the boat.

So, anytime the ski shoots or projects too quickly outbound through the transition, that ski HAS TO land on the inside edge. When it does that, it immediately starts pushing the skier back inward, toward the boat, and effectively reduces the line tension...which stops the skier from receiving Outbound Swing energy from the boat.

The goal should always be to use the boat, not fight it. Knowing how best to navigate the transition to reach maximum width before the buoy is the first step to implementing the right moves in your own skiing. Ultimately, mastery related to this concept will help you become the best skier you can be.

• Baller
So helpful !!! to see that Will keep a 45° with his elbow and keep the handle low. I try to do this but often it brings my shoulder down because I do extend my arm too early and I can feel it is not good. Great insight.

• Baller_

@tjm thanks! We all know there are many factors that contribute to our success on the water: technique, equipment, fitness, nutrition, mindset, etc...Our goal was to create a program that brings all of that together in one place, for those of you who are committed to becoming better skiers.

@chris55 just keep in mind, this video example above, is just part of a full discussion on how to maximize Outbound Swing (one of the fundamentals on the FPM water ski pyramid). But this concept of handle low, is not something most skiers need to be working on. Its best applied at shorter rope lengths, when the skier is swinging further up beside the boat, and needs an additional tool to manage the skis desire to continue swinging away from the handle.

More importantly, as you noted, focusing on keeping the arms close to your body through the transition is a key fundamental in creating outbound swing and good rhythm. Just remember, if you are having trouble extending your reaching arm too early in the turn, it could be that your arms are already getting pealed away from your body too soon through the transition moving outbound. And if that is happening, one thing that helps me personally, is to make sure I'm fully stacked in my athletic stance on my lean into the wake. If you can accelerate in the correct position, and feel your arms tight to your body into the wakes, its much easier to control the position of your body relative to your arms moving outbound.

• Baller

@MarcusBrown THANK YOU !!!!

I have been reading about flowpoint method and I really like it because you and Jenny did put together a whole program and to me it is like everything you explain is for a reason, not because " that the way it is..." and for me who sometimes think too much I have been told, is great !!

• Baller_

Corey Vaughn is a talented individual, in many ways. Here, at 180 frames per second (that's super slowmo) you can see why he's such a phenomenal water skier.

He's one of the best at getting stacked out of the turn, and quickly moving his body ahead of his feet as the rope is coming tight. THAT is why he gets such quick acceleration into the wakes, and why he has time to gain width and height on the boat, before the next buoy approaches.

ALSO, Corey is one of the best at not getting compressed through the transition zone. This idea of staying extended/tall through the transition seems to be gaining quite a bit of buzz lately. At the FlowPoint Method, we believe the transition might just be one of the most overlooked and important section of the slalom course....and Corey is one of the best guys to watch and learn from.

• Baller_

This quick tip gives you three simple actionables that you can apply TODAY, that can immediately improve the effectiveness of your fundamental stance on the ski, and ultimately, your performance!

Knowing what you need to do and understanding how to get your body to do it, are completely different things.

Sometimes grasping the concept is the easiest part... but getting yourself to learn how to actually achieve the concept on the water ends up haunting us,...sometimes for years.

Here are some quick, easy and simple points that can change your skiing, starting now.

• Baller
@MarcusBrown This morning I skied on an open water lake and bcause of wakebord boats, noway to slalom around buoys, too dangerous, so I did free ski and ....I have been doing exactly what you said .....men it put my hips at te right place instantly....whooaaoooo....I can feel my season will be different this year......thank you so much for your words so easy to understand and to replicate