Relocate the course using GPS from a Smartphone?

gsm_peter

• Baller

It is easy to save a single place using a pin in Goggle maps (for example a parked car).

The accuracy can be type 1 foot.

Assume one store 2 pins for example Boie 1 and 6.

All courses are identical the same so the coordinates could then be easy calculated relative to boie 1 and 6.

Is there any easy way (app, tool) to import the total course positions and just relate/connect them to boie 1 and 6?

One can then navigate to all boies from the boat.

For us it would be much easier find the sunken boies next time.

Maybe there already is a solution for this but I have not found anything?

Any suggestions, ideas?

• Baller

My organization runs several hundred GPS units for mapping, data location, and point to point navigation. The biggest issue is accuracy. I am currently sitting in my home office and when I look at my 'Blue Dot' on Google Maps it shows me in the garage, about 20 feet away.

I believe the GPS accuracy of your phone will be at best +/-10 meters, if you get a recreation grade GPS to tie via bluetooth to your phone it will be about 2-3 meters. I use a 'Bad Elf GPS Pro' for work, tied to phone via BlueTooth which gives me about 2.5 meter accuracy, the GPS unit runs about $250. A Trimble R1 will get you 50cm accuracy but will run you about $2100.

I use a ESRI ArcGIS product to synthesis spatial data and export a map to AVENZA PDF maps with pins, it is pretty darn simple, but the ESRI software is not cheap (starts at about $500, though a consultant could likely whip up the shapefile and maps for a small price). AVENZA is cheap/free and works great. In my experience the GPS accuracy is the biggest concern.

• Baller
Cell phone manufacturers have been talking about dual-frequency GPS chips for a while (2018) but while I haven't kept up on the details, broadly, the results haven't seemed to live up to the hype. 2nd gen dual-frequency chips getting into phones later this year. Google's Pixel 4 might be the best of the current bunch, but the hope is to get from old cell phone accuracy of +/-10 meters (~33') down to +/- 10-30 centimeters (4-12").

• Baller

Thanks guys.

I have not give up yet.

Found our course on satellite photo (Is it really cool)

Kartor.eniro.se Lambarö in Stockholm.

Link

Left Pregate: 6582647, 660307

I stored all boie positions in xls and my buddy will put into a Goggle Earth file for us.

Tested my Samsung S10 in my garden today and I get about 4-8 feet accuracy assume the Google maps streets are correct.

This is 7 miles from the course and I hope it will be similar there.

It is not to bad when you have to dive for the boies.

Will try to borrow a better GPS.

• Baller

Part of what you might find is that even if the accuracy is 4-8 feet does it refresh fast enough so that when it says you're close that it wasn't a few feet back?

Be interesting if you could make an app which would beep progressively louder faster as you approached the approximate location.

I think it would be hard to watch a screen for a coordinate shift but if had a beeper you could just kayak around with a bag of balls and a phone in a waterproof case.