Boat lift question

Srkin9

• Baller
My dad has a boat lift for his I/O and I would like to use it for my DD this summer. It looks as though the running boards are really low in relation to the frame. Will this work for my direct drive?

• Baller
Depending on the distance between the lift frame and the bunks, there may be insufficient clearance for the skegs and/or the prop shaft. It may be as simple as raising the bunks to allow for additional clearance. Most lifts have adjustable brackets for the bunks. Hope that helps and good luck.

• Baller_
I was able to put my inboard on my Dad's lift for his I/O. The bunks were adjustable and I was able to raise them enough for the tracking fins to clear. The only other thing I had to do was watch how far forward the boat sat on the bunks. The shaft, rudder, and strut needed to be behind the rear crossmember of the frame. The boat rests on the bunks perfectly and all the running gear is quite natural to position behind the crossmember.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Srkin9 do you know what brand the lift is and how does your dads I/O sit on it?

In addition to raising the bunks you can also place them a little closer together to increase the clearance for a DD. Just don’t make them too narrow. I’ve seen some I/O lifts set up where the bunks are set way wide so the keel of the hull rests on pads that are directly on the lift frame. My neighbors Donzi is set up that way but his lift could easily be adjusted for a DD just by narrowing up the bunks.

• Baller

Attached is a picture of a "custom built" frame for a 1990-1995 Nautique (still worked for my 196). Difficult to see in the picture as the frame is actually sitting on a shorestation. Simple design...front frame ahead of the skegs and back of frame allows for clearance of prop shaft while supporting the entire boat. The lift frame is for the boat house and not used on top of the shorestation. Hope this helps.0h4ao5mkwf23.jpg