Greatest water ski photo ever?

Horton

• Baller
@rogerw @Splasheye The original photo of Sammy Duvall at the Worlds in the UK 1987 was taken by Steve Sopp and was the basis of this "acrylic on canvas" painting by Louise Cobbold. The painting (and additional prints signed by Sammy) were auctioned off as part of a British Tournament Water Ski fundraiser last Autumn. Definitely one of my favourites of all time. Not only is it a great photo, it absolutely sums up the atmosphere and spirit of competition at the event.

• Baller

@Jtim3032

Cheers for fascinating info and your comment re the event is spot on as I was there at the time. I first saw the pic hanging on the wall at Denham Water ski club a few years ago.

Waterskiing competitions, large crowds and great atmosphere - now there's a thing.

I doubt it, but if anyone has a copy the would like it to go to a good home, please let me know.

• Baller
@A_B Looking at the bottom picture reminded me of something Andy told me a few years ago. He said, in his opinion, for every inch you lower the buoys the course is effectively 4" narrower. From the looks of that buoy he's going around, you can explain the yoga move to get around it! :)

• Baller
I was one year out of WSU working in Spokane when St. Helen’s blew. We were at the air show at Fairchild AFB when they announced it and that all the visiting planes had to scramble. I got to see an SR-71 Blackbird take off. Very cool.

• Baller
Well.....that might well be most unique shot involving a skier, but would disagree on the Greatest Water Ski Photo Ever.The title tends to infer some level of momentary greatness in the performance of the sport . My 2 cents........

• Baller_

I took this from a spare Judges tower at the 1977 Berkeley Nationals.

CINDY TODD                                 (35mm negative film digitized with Nikon scanner in 1997)

cio54t09s76t.png

• Baller
@Rednucleus i guess you would have had to have lived through the experience to really appreciate the event. Can still remember being in school in Pullman and the sky getting dark at noon. What a crazy time it was. Thanks for the bump. Less than a month til our lake Curlew trip! Starting to get jazzed for that week of skiing food and fellowship!