New style back brace ...reviewed.

Wish

• Baller_

At a Florida festival in early February I met a guy at one of the sales booths named Jake (no, not from State Farm). He was selling an interesting back brace. I’ve been plagued with back issues for a couple decades now and have warn just about every back brace out there while skiing. Tried it on and couldn’t get over what it did but I’m a skeptic so I walked away. Found myself going back several times to talk with him. Ended up buying one even though I just bought a regular back brace a couple weeks before as my old one had rusty parts. He was genuinely interested in how it would work in a waterski environment and wanted me to give him some feedback after skiing with it. I figured they had a 30 day money back to try it so no harm.

After 2+ months skiing with it, my take away is that anyone who wears a back brace for skiing or other activities or is thinking about using one should probably take a look. It was never intended for water skiing but it checks off all the boxes for me. I don’t know what I would change to make it better for skiing. I added their video below to show how it works as it’s simple mechanics but too complicated explain.

What I really liked about it vs what I have used in that past:

• I could increase compression far more then any traditional back brace I’ve ever owned

• I could micro adjust the compression with almost no effort.

• One handed compression adjusting even with a clincher glove and already being in the water

• Never had to let go of the rope to tighten or release compression in or out of the water.

• Between passes with one hand I can release compression, take full deep breaths, retighten and go.

• Never dug into lower ribs when bending over to put on my ski or being pulled out of the water.

• I’m probably rare in that I where braces outside my thin vest but did try it's more comfortable inside then others.

• It maintained core flexibility while my lower back was still being stabilized vs traditional braces.

• It did not shift, loosen or move once. Even with a spill or three.

• Felt more supportive then traditional lifting belts or braces I have tried.

• No metal parts to rust like all the others I have used.

• It floats...not like a life jacket but it wont sink if it falls off the boat or dock

• It’s got breathable materials.. mesh like. Does not trap or hold water.

• Materials dried quick so it never developed that damp funk other braces sometimes got.

• Extremely compact when rolled up. Incredibly light (under a pound) and that does not change once wet.

• And the part I liked the most; 30 day risk free. 5 year replacement guarantee on parts.

So when I gave Jake all the feedback months later, I was honest with him and said that it’s more money than your average Dick’s Sporting Goods type back braces out there. And that skiers are skeptical and passionate about their gear. He understood what I was trying to say so they have added a $10 discount for skiers when you enter the code WATERSKI at checkout and it still has the 30 day try it period I believe. It does not make it less then a common brace (some maybe) but to me this is not a common brace in materials or function. If you are questioning size, send me a PM. I ended up trying both a medium and a large to see the difference as I am between sizes. I have a 35” (hoping for 34”) waist and wear it outside my thin comp vest. I need to ski the medium some more but I think that will be the better fit for me.

https://baxmax.net/

• Baller
I've been wearing a nylon weight lifting belt for the last 35 years. No lower back problems. If you are into weight lifting, heavy weight, you wear one. The load behind the boat and off the ball far exceed any thing you can do in the gym. It takes a little to get used to, but worth it in the long haul. P.S. I'll be 70 in July and still ripping.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
Thanks for posting this. I may need one at some point, this looks like a good candidate. I am still using a Nevin CG approved ski vest with integral back brace that I bought in 1998 or 99 I think. It's finally starting to show some wear. Bummed they don't make them anymore, it is awesome.

• Baller_

Well, had good crash test dummy day this past weekend. Got pitch forward out of 1 ball and tried to salvage it only to lose the handle just before first wake in a lean lock and my rib cage bounced off the rooster tail at CL. Then got spun 180 degrees in the air and landed outside the wake. Felt it in the ribs for sure. Popped up and was lookn all around for the brace not realizing it had not budged. Nothing. Even the strap was in the same place. So it’s now been fully crashed tested ?...and passed with flying colors.

One more thing I think worth noting is how it custom forms to your body shape as evidenced by the young lady in the video above. ? I think that's one of the biggest factors in how good the support feels and how comfortable it has been as the compression is even across the spine. I never got that with the other's I have worn.

fx2phczed70r.jpeg

• Baller
I bought one, and really like it. I don't use it skiing, but indoors sitting at computer mostly. Now, after sitting there for a couple hours, i get it and don't have to take a couple minutes to "straighten out". It's very well made.

• Baller
I bought one of these last week and I highly recommend it. I just started skiing after 6 weeks off due to a herniated disk. I have never worn a back brace but decided I should try one due to my injury. Really easy to adjust the tension and I don’t even notice that I’m wearing it while skiing. I think it even helps my poor form by not allowing me to break at the waist as easily as I do without it.

• Baller

@Wish .... Thanks for the info..I've been using the Neoprene ones for years..This looks like a great product. Was a little concerned about the strings lasting but it says it comes with a 5 year Warranty. I'd be happy if it lasted one year.

As per your recommendation I just ordered one. Waterski code worked and it said free shipping today only. Total $59.95

• Baller

Been using the back brace for the last 2 weeks and have to say it is the best, by far, that I have ever used. Light, water resistant, and you can tighten it as much as you can stand. So easy to use, with support in the right places for skiing. Highly recommend.

Thanks for posting @Wish ... I am ordering a second one !!!

• Baller_

@DW , that's one of the things I really liked. When getting up, my "Sports Authority" style lifting belt with the big silver, soon to be rusted, D ring and huge strap in the front would dig into my gut/ribs when getting up. This one sorta conforms to the bend at the waist as you get up while maintaining the back support needed.

• Baller
I bought this BAXMAX back brace about a month ago with the discount provided above and was finally able to use it yesterday. I'm very impressed with this brace! I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to bend over because the front of the brace is very wide compared to the weight lifting belt I normally use, but it was a non issue and maybe provides extra mid-section support. Anyway, I always use a back brace when I split wood more for injury prevention, I don't have any back issues, but I'm always careful when I do heavy lifting and always use my legs. I did four hours of log splitting, some logs over 100 lbs and I gotta say I feel good today. Normally my back is a little sore the next day, but I'm feeling good and no back pain at all. I highly recommend this back brace.

• Baller_

Has anyone else tried one of these?? Any feedback??

What I have noticed in the last yr of using it is that it is still basically like new. Nothing worn or faded or anything. The other thing I noticed is how often I tighten it during a set. Get dropped at the end of the lake, reach down with one hand and cinch it up more. Just cant do that with old school back braces. Love it.