Repair or replace boat decal?

hemlock

• Baller

Any tips to repair the side boat decal? Can scratches be polished out? or is it just best to order new ones?

I've got some dock rash across the side.

I'm not even sure if these decals are available. I've heard of domednumbers too. Anyone use them to replace the main decal on their boat?

Thanks.

obm6gr4pc84t.jpg

• Off Topic 1

• Baller_

Check out MalibuCrew forum if you are not already active there - lots of info on emblem care and replacement options.

Years ago my buddy removed emblems from his Sportster, buffed out the gelcoat and it has a much nicer look naked.

• Baller

Try to polish them first.

On my Response I had quite good success getting rub marks out of the domed decals using some fine rubbing compound and wax afterwards.

But I have to say, the “naked” Sportster posted above looks pretty sharp!

• Baller

Remove and replace, attempting to polish out will yield only moderate success. Assuming you can get replacements from somewhere, hit those existing with the heat gun and remove, polish the gelcoat around the area to get it back to new then put the new ones on.

I am in the signage game and that high gloss domed laminate is almost impossible to fix, whereas new ones look amazing. I’ve done it on my 196 and the result makes a real difference to the boat.

• Baller

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will contact domednumbers and get a quote.

This seems to be the correct decal for my 03' Sunsetter. (but without the sun)

Hopefully they can remove that part.

It would be nice to get a fancier shadow line too.

myzish6kepx6.jpg

• Baller

I know your boat didn't have the gradient sun, but I think it looks super cool. That decal you linked is the coolest looking decal ever put on a Malibu IMO.

I'm a big fan of domed numbers. Have their work on a bunch of my stuff, including the transom and reg decals on my boat, and a custom decal on my truck. The Malibu Crew has a discount with them fwiw.

cbl136oy7uy6.jpg