New ski recommendation

Jakegsxr11

I know there are several of these threads but hopefully you can all help me out. I am an intermediate free skiier, I ski behind a 18' four winns runabout on a small 200 acre lake, it's usually calm and the boat is always turning counter clockwise. I've been skiing slalom for about 28 years and am 38 years old I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs.I ride a HO venture super sidecut competition freeride series ski. It's wider and slower than I would like. I should get some coaching but I don't really have the time and I don't know of any around my area. I like to ski around 30-32 mph but my boat doesn't have an accurate speedo so that might no be correct. I don't have any video of me skiing but here are a few still shots.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/zU0idypaSKaCayzpZyV9xQ.woPrlK8DDB1Hh9392TRorS

• Baller

I’m with @Ski_Dad, go to ski-it-again and look for a well-cared for Radar Senate. Probably an Alloy or a Graphite would be a rocking good ski for you.

Some suggestions - First, download a GPS speed app on your phone and check your speedo for accuracy.

Second, I don’t know if you meant to say your boat is ALWAYS turning, but from the photos it looks like there is plenty of room for running straight for quite a few pulls on that lake. Drive straight, turn, drive straight, turn... it will make a huge difference. Third - keep working at it! You are asking the right questions about equipment and how to improve. Where do you call home? I bet there are some skiers who live close to you.

Fourth - buy some gloves. ;)

I'm in central WI and ski on the Wolf River and in the northern lakes also. The main lake I ski on has a mandated counter clockwise ski pattern I'll try and get my wife to make as many straights as possible. Thanks for the tips.

• Baller
Any blank correctly-sized Senate lightly used from the last few years would be perfect, IMO. Then focus on getting a good new set of bindings that fit; Vapor bindings are awesome and my boy really likes his Vectors as well. Get new bindings that fit and don't skimp there, IMO.

Ok, I'm going with a 2018 HO carbon omni. Will these bingings mount up? It looks to me like they will.

Radar

Radar BOA Hybrid Rear Toe HRT - Aluminum Frame

Size:

XL (Men's 10-14)

Change

Price$169.99

Radar Vector BOA Water Ski Binding - Feather Frame

Radar

Radar Vector BOA Water Ski Binding - Feather Frame

Size:

XL (Men's 10-14)

Position:

Front Boot

Change

Price$199.99

• Baller
I had an omni, and an issue with the rear HRT on the standard (aluminum) frame. I have been told that the feather frame will only work with Radar products. I would need someone else to substantiate that though.

• Baller
yes they will mount - i have them - the only issue you will have is the rear binding will not move forward any further since there is only 3 locations on Radar vs 5 on the HO rear bindings. We have a CX ski.

• Baller

@Sivota @Jakegsxr11 The HRT didn't align with the pattern on my ski. It seemed not matter what i did, I could only get 3 screws in successfully.

I would have had to alter the binding if I wanted to make it work, which would make it unreturnable. I opted for an r-style.

• Baller

As far as I recall I just used two screws with the aluminium plate top photo. I went back to look at my other photos of the one with the all black bindings [lower photo]. That photo was when I was using the carbon sequence plate, and I just extended [cut] the centre hole. I did use the aluminium plate with only two screws, albeit with a Radar screw plate [the sort of moon shaped piece that comes with the bindings]. I used an HO screw plate later on top for added security. See this photo. a5dtifc6vkxh.jpg