Slalom Impact Vest for Protection

CRVJax

What is the best (non-CGA) vest for impact protection and flotation? I have an Eagle now which I like, but would like to be a little safer. I ski slalom on a closed course, 15/22 off @32mph wanting to get to 34. Skiing more aggressively and the falls are getting harder. I'm 60 so I'm only going to progress so far. So I can sacrifice some flexibility for safety. Suggestions?

• Baller

I recently picked up a Ronix One Custom Fit Comp Vest. Coming from an Eagle, this one definitely has more padding and more float (at the expense of being a bit bulkier, of course).

The Boa feature is pretty cool, but the dial can catch on things (like when sliding into the driver's seat).

• Baller
I wonder about these "impact" vests. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of science behind them from a rib protection standpoint, I think a lot is speculation. Does more padding help or hurt? Are multiple smaller foam panels better, or larger ones? I think the multiple panels help in movement and flexibility, but seems like larger panels would distribute the impact over a larger area. Comfort and flexibility are going to sacrifice any protection, and flotation.

• Baller
At 64 and running 32mph on open water and 34mph on tournament....the Evo2 from Stokes is the best I've used regarding protection and floatation as well. And I do toss the handle too when I feel a big crash would be possible.....

• Baller
I agree with @ScottScott my old vest had the thicker padding and I bruised my ribs a few times in that vest. I felt the padding did the damage. The O'Neill slasher i have now going on my 3rd year with thinner padding has never given me a problem yet when I take a fall on my ribs.

Thanks for the good insight guys. One last question and I'll leave it alone. Have any of you tried the single buckle wakeboard vests as somewhat of an in between pure comp and a CGA? Little more protection and float against just a little more bulk...

• Baller
@CRVJax - I tried a few on a shop when I bought my O'neil Slasher. The deciding factor for me was that of the single buckle vests I tried on, none of them had any velcro or other mechanism to keep the zipper up. I have had vests un-zip in the past and it results in a less than ideal situation. The zippers also felt a little more free to move, they made me nervous. I felt the O'Neil was a little more secure when fully zipped.

• Baller

I'm an O'Neill fan boy for all my rashguards, boardshorts and own 2 O'Neill Slasher.Absolutely no ribs protection whatsoever on the sides,only the stretchy material.

Broke 4 ribs last summer in a bad fall.Very comfortable but no protection.

Ski partner just got a new Camaro that i will try soon.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

My concern with buying new vests the manufacturer does not provide any proof of any level of protection or buoyancy. How many LBs of buoyancy? and level of protection and what is the protected area. is this stuff too hard to test for. Tie weights to your vest until it sinks. put 1sg inch block on vest and see how much weight it takes before going flat. Anybody else got ideas on how to set some standards.

• Baller
I have a Camaro and an Eagle. The Camaro definitely has more padding and flotation. It is also heavier when wet. Eagle does make a vest with more flotation but I don’t think there is more rib protection.

• Baller
I'm not a high level/tournament skier, and I have never had a non cga vest so I dont know, but are CGA vests really restrictive to impact performance. Hard to believe. I know two people that had major rib damage in recent years. I took a spill a few weeks ago (again, rookie in a CGA vest) and did what I think was bruise some ribs. Still hurts and still impacts performance. I cant imagine going out with any less protection.

• Baller
I wear an O'Neill Slasher comp vest. Had a nasty crash going into the gates last week. The vest was still around my shoulders, but the zipper came completely unzipped. I've been free skiing with a non CGA vest for years, but I went ahead and bought an O'Neill Assault CGA vest just because. Yeah, it feels a little bulkier but it's not coming off in a crash. After all, we all skied wearing those 4 buckle nylon jobs! Or how about the foam ring around the waist? :D

• Baller

Thicker, better rib protection and floatation, but less comfortable and not as easy to keep arms close to chest to maintain a good pulling position. Thinner, more comfort and better able to keep arms close to the ribs but less protection and worse flotation.

Risk/reward dilemma.

Go thin, perform better and crash less.