Candela Hydrofoiling Boat Pulling a Skier

skibrain

• Baller_

@skibrain, I don't think the prop or the foils would be an issue in an individually anchored course, unless the horizontal stabilizers/wings are wider than, say, 5-6 feet.

For a portable/cable course, you would probably only need to have the buoy lines another couple feet or so longer. The booms and mainline would need to be about 8 feet down.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Pylon height becomes an issue too. Notice on this one, every time the skier pulls the prop starts rooster tailing a bit. Not that it’s a problem. I’d love to ski it if it could be worked out.

Also, just curious if Freddie pulled his 900 pound pull on this thing, what would the boat path look like?

• Baller_
Very impressed. Thought I’d see a lot more of the boat getting pulled off line and get lean over far more with each pull like most outboard runabouts. Would be interesting to see even more improvement if the rope was secured to a pylon in the middle of the boat vs back by the motor. Very cool technology.

• Baller
The foils work exceptionally well on the biggest of racing blow boats, and those things have more sail square footage than most houses. The lateral force on those boats so far exceeds what any skier can do it’s unimaginable. If the drive units can be made to keep a more level plane, and consistent speed, this would revolutionize tournament skiing

• Baller

Agree. Foiling blades could both resist roll and provide a bunch of lateral stability. In application to a dedicated ski boat running on flat water, foils could be much shorter.

Trick wake TBD. Maybe boat doesn’t fly until 20 mph. ?

• Baller

Incat have been building massive wave piercing catamarans with computer controlled stabilising foils for decades. If the foils the ability to steer left and right plus control up and down they would become an incredible ski boat. I guess the boat this thread about would basically already have that because it can steer when flying. Cool... and what a way to get kids skiing faster and faster through the course until they are doing a speed and are big enough they can handle the wake of a traditional boat. This would really help my kids progression all aged 7-14.

Here is a pic of an in at boat. I would think this one would be fitted with their computer controlled stabiliser for rough sea use. g4h44vh7k37g.jpeg

• Baller
@GregHind the best boat out right now for your kids to get comfortable with wake crossing is the Prostar, not even a competition. That’s the thing I really miss about my 2014. I got 12 year old girl through her first full pass behind it because she was afraid of the wakes behind every other boat. My 7 year old still talks about how much she misses that boat. I do too

• Baller

The risk of tearing up the course or your expensive underwater gear would be to high to use it in the slalom course. And for open water it might not have the range people need. Still very cool to see though.

For kids and small wakes; I used a jetski for both of my kids until they started pulling to hard through the (very small) wakes to keep the thing straight.

• Baller
I think the professional sport should maintain a reflection of the recreational sport. If foiling ski boats become common I am all for it. I love slalom for the dynamic balance of forces; Boat, Driver, Water, Skier... Take too many of those away and its a different sport. Its a slippery slope too; dedicated ski lakes could rig a track down the middle with just a pylon pulling a skier too. Cable parks are common (although can not take a 1,000 lb side load without deflecting).