New website for USA water ski

LeonL

• Baller
So, if I understand correctly, our previously unfruitful affiliation with USOC continues by joining in a website that we are just a small part of. No longer even a towed water sports website, just a part of "team USA" sports.

• Administrators
@LeonL where do you see that? The Team Sports page has been around for a while and does not contain much of use. http://www.usawaterski.org/ is still the site of record and last time I asked there was a plan for a complete redesign of the site. Unfortunately that is a big project and can not happen overnite.

Their are others who are better to respond than me but the redesign is supposed to use the template/frame that the USOC Team Sports page uses. I understand it will still be a stand alone website with additional features (ability to host video) and security. No idea of the timeframe.

• Baller

Normal website, entry status. Then click the tournament. Then it allows you to filter by various factors. Easy.

This new website, it just brings you to enter online and general information.

The filters are still from asking for a tournament. I tried turning the phone sideways, that just filled up the screen with usoc template stuff.

• Baller
Magnifying glass usually indicates "search". Maybe it's my internet today, but every page is slower loading than before. Even got the dreaded "problem occurred, webpage being reloaded". Some selection bubbles and text are overlaying.

• Baller

I see the issue I was running into:

On iPhone, it doesn’t allow you to pan to right therefore the magnifying glass can’t be accessed therefore you can’t use those types of features via phones.

• Baller
Keep the feedback coming. There will be bugs as with any website launch. This took Scott 6-8 months to convert our very complex website over and mark crone has spent hundreds of hours on his own dime to make rankings, olr, and event pages work under the USOC framework. Instead of spending $30k to hire programmers to make a website we will actually make $40k from USOC advertising due to traffic to our site. We had no control over launch date do I know it comes at a bad time with regionals and nationals but the issues will get fixed. Mark has already fixed tons of issues found by members so feedback to scotts email above is important.

• Baller
Desktop and mobile, the magnifying glass was not displayed. This is occurring for both the 9/26 Victory Lake and 10/17 Victory Lake OctoberrSplash. Previously could register and check status online, there is a red flag, not aware of what that signifies.

• Baller

Looks like it's working a bit better, on desktop.

Unfortunately all the "cutoff" calculations which used to auto-populate when looking up rankings. Unless my not to bright mouse moving flat out doesn't see it or am clicking wrong.

• Baller

The more I use the new web site, the less I like it. Many tournaments can not be signed up for online, nor can you see the status. Screens are hard to read, dont display well, etc. I am able to get into the old site to navigate most functions.

• Baller

Lots of ongoing issues trying to register for future tournaments.

Tried various browsers on Dell Laptop and it kept seeing it as a mobile device not letting me register.

Then officials codes section not working.

Polite email sent asking to look into it.

• Baller
Couldn't sign up for a tournament on the new site! Fortunately through google (select the 2nd site, not the first) you can still hit the old, functional, site which works. Surprised there's not more feedback on this. Also, the half screen banner is terrible for actually getting any information out of the site.

• Baller

1- Registration download for tournament does not work so impossible to check who registered for how many rounds

2- Find my ranking does not work

3- Site is not responsive so the scroll and visible area is awkward to use.

Is there a list of known issue that they are working on and where to report problems?

• Baller

@rico the registration download is no longer a working function and there is no timeline to fix it. You will need to do a OLR import into WSTIMS. This is the new standard procedure.

As for the website... too many issues with it to count. I'm happy to make a list of all the issues I find but I would like to know someone will actually read and address them before I take the time. I know there is always a pecking order to things getting fixed. @JeffSurdej

• Baller

@rico the tournament registration page will tell you which events or you can pull the running orders.

If you are also referring to more a pick and choose format there is a separate pick&choose under import for that. I can’t say for sure how that works as I’ve never used it. You can also look at the Paypal and see what they paid for.

Email Jeff Clark he will be able to tell you for sure.

• Baller
Jeff, We really need to go back to the old site now until many of the fixes in place, not work on it over the winter. Once the new site is usable with time consuming frustrating work arounds, and operation, then you should entertain enhancements. I am afraid the cart is being put in front of the horse.

• Baller

@JackQ going back is not an option at this point, I know the transition has not gone smoothly and the new site is no A+ but there are too many logistics to go back, so we gotta make it work. The # one issue is the iframes that had to built to make OLR, sanctioning, rankings all work within the USOC platform, we have reverted some of those back for now. lets just work together to fix issues and improve it. The old site worked well but for many reasons it had to be changed, we couldnt even play video on the old site, it was not mobile responsive, and would not work going forward as we work on new membership database and sanctioning functions, so this is step 1 in a number of steps.

• Baller
I understand and support the goal of moving but not the execution. From my last 20 years as the Chief Information Officer for a large organization I would comment that you have met two of the top 5 contributors to IT malpractice head on: 1. Lack or ineffective testing 2. Risking your core mission (sanctioning and executing tournaments) for nice to haves (mobile and videos), though important new capabilities not worth negatively effecting the must haves. I have not met anyone that likes the new site, and scorers and tournament directors seem to despise it.