What would this ski be worth to you?

Hallpass

• Baller

74qqjus6vjvz.jpeg

To my youngest brother, this is the only thing he would want from my estate.

This is my Maha ski. I saved up my money in the mid seventies and bought it used from a neighbor. It' has a huge sliver missing from the top right side. Honestly, it's been so many years, that I can't remember if I did the damage, or if it was there when I bought it. The ski probably has minimum value.

In November of last year I was diagnosed with cancer. That's fine. They caught it early. I will be ok. But, as you do when you have cancer, I began to put together my will and organize my affairs. I reached out to each of my brothers and asked if there was anything of mine that they would like if I was to pass. I'm not a rich man, but I have done OK. I have some things of value, and I have some things that I inherited from our parents.

My youngest brother is 13 years younger than I am. I'm not sure if he was born when I bought that ski. He couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old when I last skied on it. He can ski a little, and I do mean a little. He's not very involved in the sport. Much to my surprise, he told me that if my wife and I both passed at the same time, he'd be honored to raise our daughter. Else, the only thing I own, that he wants, is this ski. Apparently, he remembers me skiing on it. He says it was one of the coolest things he remembers when I lived at home.

I'm off work next week, and I plan to deliver the ski to him. Why wait till you're dead, right? Who would have known that this ski meant more to him than to me.

• Baller
@Hallpass when my mom passed away 2 years ago she made a list of all the things that she had that she wanted to go to certain people. She was a very organized person! That is so cool what you are doing. Best wishes to you on your fight. God speed?

• Baller
I have my older brother's Maha of the same vintage hanging in my basement. Pretty much the same sentiment. I remember him getting the ski and thinking it was the coolest looking ski ever. He hasn't skied in years and he wanted out of his closet. Not as touching of a story, because it was more about the ski than him.