Choosing a Ski (feel or results)

Not_The_Pug

• Baller

Since we have been on lock down from most tournaments, I have been trying lots of skis this summer. Now I think I need to pick one. The problem I'm having, do I choose a ski that feels comfortable and I think I can work on technique or one that just seems to make buoys (but felt like I was all over the ski)?

Trying not to get into ski brand debates, just how each ski feels and results.

The skis that I got more buoys, only got a couple of rides on. So how would they react in wind at a tournament or difficult conditions. If at a tournament, would I go down on opener or get a PB? Do I gamble for that chance at a new PB.

• Baller

I’m not going to answer your question, but I’ve found that trying new skis requires significant time for me. A few binding and fin set ups a little over a few weeks...sometimes moving things more dramatically, adjusting my technique to work better with the ski I am trying.... Going back to my old ski for a week.... switching back again to the test ski....

It can be fun or frustrating. I try to focus on free skiing during this time. sometimes I’ve bought and tried (highly endorsed) skis for an entire season before selling and moving on.

• Baller

Did you try both skis in the same conditions? If so,i'm surprise that you got more bouys on an ski that didn't feel good or unstable.

Slalom skier will always go for more bouys...

Easy choice!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@andre yes, similar conditions. I have tried 4 different skis this year. Two skis, I just got quick rides on and the other two I got a few weeks on to test.

The two skis that just seemed to keep going no mater what I did, were surprising. But I never felt that smooth turn. I wasn't able to change settings on the ski, I was borrowing someone else's ski, so just placed my bindings at stock and skied it.

• Baller

Some skis feel like they "help" by turning both sides even if you're in ridiculously bad shape. I find those skis to be magic when they are helping me but then they bite me later when water temps change or any other little variation occurs or try to kill me by taking me across the wake locked out in a bad position vs. just letting me fall in the turn. I call these types of skis magic skis, in a bad context vs. being a compliment. These types of skis giveth and taketh away and generally drive me crazy.

Then there are more neutral skis which feel more comfortable but do less "magic". They reward better technique but won't kill you if you get into a funky position. These are the skis I prefer. They go left, they go right and the better you ski the better they are. You can "re-point them" if you screw up out of a turn and if you over-gas them they won't lean lock you. They neither give nor take away. I believe D3 does this type of ski very well.

For context I ski 34mph into 32 off and mainly ski in the course. Cannot speak for shorter lines or 36mph which are both totally different ballgames from what I do. Lastly I believe just about any ski can feel great free-skiing so I'd say if you're just free-skiing pick the ski that you think looks the coolest, ha.

• Baller
Living in Orlando and having Performance close by when I am looking for a new ski I get to try many. What I have found not being a short line skier that the ski i end up with is one that I feel comfortable on and one that doesn't do anything crazy when I have to scramble. When I am at a tournament the last thing I have to worry about is my ski

• Baller
FWIW, I think this issue is common in most sports where equipment/gear is used by an athlete. The high performance gear (bows in archery, raquets in tennis, rods in fly fishing, etc.) tends to be more sensitive to technique. If you are extremely consistent in your form and can utilize the high end of the performance curve, they feel magic in a good way more often than not. For those of us who are far from world class (in abilty or technique) they can sometimes (and on a bad day every time) feel squirelly and highly unpredictable --those days when the slalom course can feel more like a rodeo than skiing. With gear at the top of the price range, some models are known for predictabilty and others for top-end performance. Very rarely do you get both in a single product. So I guess your choice depends on what you want to achieve ;-)

• Baller

Don’t leave out the factor of learning. As you progress in your skiing you will become better (lessons help) and therefore your comfort level will change (meaning the radical ski that gets you more buoys) - for the better. If you think the ski you are riding on has a great amount of potential for you - then that is the ski you should choose.

This is my opinion and needs to be weighed against your goals and success criteria for YOUR skiing.

I too am testing skis at the moment - enjoy this time as it is a blast!

• Baller

The Denali guys have said that a ski that is set up well for your openers generally won’t perform as well at your hardest passes. I am not sure if that applies at all levels or not. To me this sounds like you may need to pay more attention on your opening passes on a ski that will get you more buoys than on a ski that you can be on cruise control on your first couple of passes.

Unfortunately my body won’t let me test that out right now.