Gates

LOTW

• Baller

We ski on an open lake course that often has a lot of wind and boat rollers. I struggle with my gates, when to pull out, exactly when to go, head wind, tail wind, what to do with the handle and more. I've listened to Spraymakers podcast on this at least 6 or 7 times which has been hugely helpful but there's still gaps. At what point do we pull out at the 55's? Tip of the bow, windshield, motor box? How does it change with speed increase and rope length? Same with the turn in? I get that we should still have speed and not be slowing down and/or drifting in but can we have too much speed? Matching boat speed and gate timing always seems to be a gamble. Then throw the wind in there! I'm sorry, but when a head wind is so loud on your ears that you can't hear the boat, it makes a huge difference. Then the tail wind blows you way past one ball, CRAP! A skiers eye view video would be great! What to do with the handle at the turn in on a 2 handed gate? Some, most kinda push it up and out front of themselves, what should we do with it?

Again, the podcast has helped a lot and really clarified a lot of things but not all, THANKS guys! Part 2?

Another thing, if we hit or go over the right gate ball, is it still good or do we have to totally be inside it? We're not tournament skiers by no means but want to do things right.

THANKS all!

• Baller

Have not listened to the podcast, but happy to give you a few tips that I hope are not repetitive. Since you have 55's, as another point of reference is when the right gate ball lines up with 5 turn ball. This reference point is very close to the 55 point. When you pull out, line up with the 2,4,6 ball (typically when left gate and 3 ball line up) Turn in slowly and progressively when left gate ball and 1 ball line up. These are not perfect, but will be good reference points that are constant.

Head wind, pull out later and/or more intensely, tail wind sooner for a longer glide.

Good luck.

• Baller

Typically you see good skiers moving out when the bow hits the 55s, specifically when the view of the right hand 55 is taken away by the boat. The move out point is the same at all lengths but the turn in point changes because you get closer to the boat at each length.

I do not turn IN via any boat reference. I’m looking at the right hand gate ball, my brain is doing some secret math and somehow that works. The move out has very specific references that need to be repeatable though for sure.

The only time the move out point changes is in a head or tail wind.

• Baller
As a group we have 15 thru 32 off, 28 - 34 mph skiers, so all over the place but it's all relevant. I'm 28-32 off and usually 32-34mph but because of "the summer of wind" we're having, I've been 28-30 mph trying not to get hurt and work on technique. The main problem here right now is the weather and we're getting out once a week and conditions then are not Florida glass either. It's looking a bit better for this week so fingers crossed!