Another ski advice thread- please help!

VermontSkier

• Baller
I am currently skiing on a 2018 66 O’Brien Conquer which feels decent. I am 6’ and 175lbs and am running between 15’ off at 34mph and 36mph which has been a big progression as I started the year at 28mph. I think I’d like to upgrade my ski, should I be on a 67? Should I be on a high-end ski or midrange? Thanks ballers!

• Baller_

Maybe u don’t need to shell out $1200+ on a new ski. Settings and coaching may be better dollars spent. Looks like a very capable ski to me. I’ve actually always wanted to try one.

Doesn’t sound like from DR’s description that you have outgrown its performance level unless they cheapened it in some way with later versions.

The review:

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/gear-reviews/1783-o-brien-conquer-review

• Baller
@Wish the person I bought it from has them for sale on ski-it-again for a screaming deal of $125, new in box, although he might be limited on sizes now. I have the ski set-up at Horton’s settings from another thread about the ski. It feels better at higher speeds than it did at 28pmh, I’m curious if a 66 is still a bit too small for me.

• Baller_
Personally I would say that is probably the right size considering the amount of width that ski has under foot. I rode a short(er) HO S2 vs what I would have ridden on a traditional ski for that reason and it was perfect. The Denali skis are shorter and wider now and seems perfect to go shorter as well. That's why I am curious to ride a Concur as there are some miner similarities like little rocker, shorter and wider under foot. If your buddy has a bigger Concur you could try, I would consider doing that just to see. But if the ski feels like it is not dragging at 34mph, I cannot imagine it would hold you back. Set up does matter as well with how it feels.

• Baller
@Wish thank you so much for the input and thoughts. I too had read about the ski from Horton’s review and I jumped at the chance to buy one this spring on ski-it-again. Almost thought it was a scam because they were only $125. I should probably keep riding this for the rest of the season, get some good coaching, and maybe upgrade next year. I’d like to try some new skis before buying, but its a bit hard up here in Vermont! Cheers