Public Water Boat upgrade

svxwilson

• Baller

Hello,

I have been skiing at a club lake the last few years and haven't been using my own boat very much. Its a 1991 Ski Brendella Super Comp.

The last weekend I took it out and taught a few newbies how to slalom on open water. When I took my turn and skied I noticed my wake was significantly larger than the 2017 Nautique thats at the club lake. Obviously its a much newer boat and it typically has less weight in it than my boat on open water. But I was hoping to find some insight on some alternative boats that may perform better than my Brendella with passengers and gear.

If I were to get a new boat the main purpose would be to get a better wake. Specifically when the boat has a few passengers and a cooler. Just looking for some suggestions on this subject.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Aaron

• Baller

Price would be 10-25k, but if there is something not too far beyond that price I would consider the idea.

Tubing and wakeboarding are the only other activities I do on the water. They are there to entertain bad water or kids when on open water.

3-6 passengers plus a cooler, portable grill and gear are my open water cargos.

Doesn't have to be a nautique, just have experience with the 2017 model and its a really nice boat. The Club just upgraded to a 2021 Nauique. Going to get to ski on it this weekend for my first time.

Mostly want a better wake when the boat is loaded for the day on open water, and at slower speeds, often open water is to rough to ski at full speed for me, the Brendella wake is bad when weighted down and moving 28mph ish on medium choppy water.

• Baller

Any wake is going to be bad weighted down on choppy water.

But you need a Sunsetter LXi 1999-2004. You need room for people, a little bit of freeboard for public water, storage, and the wedge. It won't be the SN200 or new SN wakes, but it'll be much better than your Brendella.

I know I might sound like a broken record always recommending that boat for open water guys, but there really hasn't ever been a better "do it all" boat for the guy who is serious about slalom wakes and has more than 3 passengers with regularity.

• Baller

When it has been 6 its usually 3-4 adults and 2-3 small humans or dogs, definitely not a typicall outing but make it happen when it needs too.

Have a super compact weber grill that sits on the motor cover quite well. Grill doesnt get hot on the bottom so it doesnt hurt anything. Mostly hot dogs and burgers. Have reheated some pulled pork on a tin for pulled pork sands, and pre cooked (smoked) ribs. Just nice to have something other than cold sandwiches imo.

But its definitely an intimate event :) not much privacy for the day.

• Baller

My family used to own a 2001 Sunsetter. It’s pretty wild how versatile it was. We could pack 9 people in it with a cooler for a day of relaxing or get up early and run into 35 with no complaints about the wake. All on very busy Lake Lanier.

In your price range it would be hard to go wrong with a Sunsetter.

• Baller

@sixball knew exactly what lake you were on. Such a terrible situation, sorry about the loss there...

@jhughes that's sort of thought provoking. I wonder how the market will change when all the open water friendly direct drives become 20 year boats. I use a 2006 Nautique 206 and look at all the >2010 boats. None have full benches in the back for my wife to sunbathe on, or anywhere to stick a beach bag, etc. I get why, but eventually there's going to be a real gap to fill.