FS New Syndicate Hardshell, Right 10-11

Bruce_Butterfield

• Baller_

Like many chronologically gifted skiers, I suffer from back problems and was hoping that changing from double hardshells to a front hardshell and RTP would reduce my back stress on startups. I was going to use a Reflex, but when looking at the new HO boot, it has several very significant advantages over the Reflex, so I picked one up at Nationals.

Long story short, trying to change to a RTP after 38 years of using double boots, the last 20 in hardshells, isn't going to happen. 2 sets and back in the box. Great deal for any Baller looking for a HS upgrade.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Bindings&postid=56672

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@DavidP sure thing. Compared to the standard Reflex:

1. the molded plastic on the plate creates a significantly better connection to the ski .

2. The HO boot is flatter to the ski That helps with the connection

3. The liner is somewhat formed to the foot already before heat molding

4. The reflex is really tight in the toes and the HO is more comfortable. Yeah probably an individual thing but the reflex is tight for a size 10.

5. Stainless steel heel brackets are sturdier and will last without rusting

Several well thought out improvements that make a good product better.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield great to see you at Nationals. I would recommend you try a half boot rear(r style). I left double hardshell boots for the same reason, back pain from getting up. I tried a rtp, but that just did not work for me. You can also use your full height liner with a strap around the top to make the r style feel more like a full boot.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Administrators

@Bruce_Butterfield do you know @Milford ? Have you seen his crazy cool double hard shell solution? He has double PowerShell boots and gets up with his back boot off the ski and then "Clicks In" after he gets up. It is WHACKY but super cool!

If he does not respond to this thread - PM me and I will put you in touch with him. He is a super nice guy and I am sure he will show you what he did.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield - I suffer from the same problem and tried to convert to a RTP in 2006 after my first back surgery. Spent 2 and a half years trying to make it work and could never get my scores back up to what they were, so I figured out a way to get back on my double power shells and still be able to drag a foot during the deep water starts. I don’t have any pictures of my set up handy, but would be happy to show you what I have come up with. I have been using this system for around 12 years now and it it works awesome. It does rely on interlock as the release mechanism. I used a reflex toe bar and a spring loaded cabinet latch on the back of a reinforced G-10 plate. I deep water start with the boot released from the ski and once up, I simply step in and the cabinet latch locks into place. When I settle in at each end to shorten the rope, I reach down and open the latch to release the boot from the ski. I really wish someone would take my idea and run with it. I am convinced there are many skiers that would benefit from a system like this as it really helps reduce the load on the lower back during deep water starts. PM me for more info. Thx!

• Baller_

I did try a front reflex and r-style a few years ago and was able to ski to my normal buoy count after a few weeks, but my consistency fell off a cliff. I attributed part of that to the front shell being a size too big, so I had hope for the correct size front and RTP. The 1 leg starts were definitely less stressful on my back, but with the RTP I could barely turn a buoy, let alone run a pass. Too many years of using the back leg to turn the ski have ingrained that pretty firmly.

An interesting note when I put my double boots back on, just standing on the platform, I felt "connected" to the ski all the way to my hips vs just flopping at the ankle with a single boot.

So I'm back to my double boot setup and just have to focus on body alignment on the starts. And more core exercises...... If I'm lucky, I won't be running for the ice pack after every set.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield - The pictures in the thread above were an experiment with an R Style boot system. I have since gone back to a full double PowerShell with the same cabinet latch to release the back boot for deep water starts.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield - I'm the dude on the left in the picture above. I use double Goode Powershells on a single G-10 plate with interlock under the plate. I depend on the interlock to release the bindings from the ski if needed. The cabinet hardware is simply there to allow me to deep water start with dragging my rear foot. Much less pressure on the back and I get the full benefit of a double hard shell system.

• Baller

So the back boot plate is slotted in the front and you slide your backfoot plate under the 2 large flat head screws and latch the back in the cabinet hardware.In a bad fall,the entire plate release from the ski with interlock.

Right?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I will get some pictures of my current set up and post. @Andre - that is how I configured with the R Style boot, but now use a reflex toe bar to hold the front of the PowerShell rear boot in place and the cabinet hardware secures the back. The interlock releases both boots in a fall.