Upper Back Pain

quinne

• Baller

Can someone point me to a thread on BOS that discusses upper back pain? Rhomboid muscle (I think), just under the scapula. I'm tall and slim and back pain is something I've always had to work with while pursuing sports.

I've had muscle soreness building since the beginning of the summer and initially it was just in the category of annoying and only noticeable occasionally during the week but didn't bother me while skiing on weekends. Now it bothers me constantly and hurts while skiing. I'm guessing it is related to the deep water start and also far less than perfect form once up.

Normally I would go for a series of massages but given COVID I'm avoiding that if possible. I am stretching before and after skiing although feel like my stretch never quite gets at the place that is tight. Advice?

• Baller

Perhaps some rest is in order? we never like to hear that, but sometimes needed.

consider..

Some yoga on the dock.

So you have a hard foam roller? , go slowly.

and thoracic stretch.

after recovery,To build next season, and introduce pullups/chinups into your routine in the off season. even if you step on a box and do slow negatives with good form, it will help

Pull back the intensity of the skiing to promote good technique, and reset stance when it drops.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, Sensei sez

• Baller

@ReallyGottaSki good post. I do have a roller and need to start using it. Not excited about rest though coming into the end of summer! Agree on building better strength in the off season. My exercise and weight routine has been way off with the pandemic so that is probably contributing.

Like your practice quote.

Thanks!

• Baller

@quinne

I can get something like this after a ultra hard hit or heavy pull off a buoy..But, it ONLY ever happens mid summer.

Take stock on your hydration and mineral intake so your muscles don't knot up so much in the first place and your body can recover raster. I know for me, hydrating adequately is a major challenge in summer and easy to overlook how de-hydrated you might be getting.

Never a bad idea to get a new rope and handle. A old stiff rope will make for too much shock load any time you take a bit of slack.

• Baller

Here's a beginner friendly yoga video that might help (added bonus: only 20 minutes). Particularly the stretch at the time I'm linking.

I get a similar pain from time to time. A family relative chiropractor helped me realize that mine is actually connected more to neck tightness. If you are the same, tilt your ear towards your shoulder and slowly look towards the ceiling. You might feel it right under your shoulder blade as you describe.

• Baller

This is actually kind of comical. I'm 45 and unlike virtually every other female I know, I've never enjoyed yoga. You all have me convinced now that I need to explore this weird bendy exercise philosophy. Thanks for the video!

@adamhcaldwell I think you're on to something with the hydration. Usually up too late the night before and too much wine. Then super early morning to beat the wake boats out to the water. And its possible the heart of my issue could be related to my offside slack. I don't get it every time. It's so strange how you can have good ski days and bad ski days. Or good ski weekends and bad ski weekends. I can go a couple of weeks and have no issues with slack. Then suddenly I take 5 steps back and feel like I'm getting a snap on my right side coming out of the turn. I used to let go of the rope and bail to save myself the jerk. Lately I'm trying to hold it and recover. Like I said in my original post, less than perfect form catching up with me now, and mid-summer as you point out.

@Obrienslalom yes, my neck is definitely feeling it. It's just acute in the place under my shoulder blade, and one side is way worse than the other.

• Baller

In addition to all that's been mentioned check out getting a percussion massage like a Theragun or you can DIY one using a jigsaw and attachment from amazon.

While it might seem a little gimmicky it works and works fast. Very similar to a foam roller but more concentrated and a lot more intense. You'll feel like someone is punching you in a painful spot, but it's a hurts so good type of pain :) The percussion will rapidly increase blood flow to the area. It's not quite as nice as a massage but the results are pretty effective.

I used a 12v Milwaukee cordless jigsaw ($~100) and the bit from amazon. So for ~$150 I have what functions the same as a unit that is $300+.

• Baller
I use a massage therapist who does deep tissue massage. She is very cautious so I'm good with the risk. If not, get a large foam roller (the big hard black rollers) and lay along the length of the roller along your spine. Your bottom at the end and your head at the top. While laying on the roller spread your arms out wide in a "T" position. At the same time squeeze your shoulder blades together. Yes, sometime this really hurts but it helps me.

• Baller

I skied for YEARS with a very similar upper back/neck pain. Just thought that was the way it would always be. Finally found a chiropractor who worked with me to isolate the target muscle and not put me on a ‘maintenance plan’. We figured out the muscle (supraspinatus), he taught me how to stretch it, and I’ve now skied 15 painless years. As long as I stretch it before my set I’m good. If I rush and don’t stretch it, guaranteed pain the next day.

You are 45 (which is about the age I figured it out). No offense but you are ‘older’ than ya used to be. How much are you stretching before your set?

Do all the yoga and other recommendations you want, but if you’re not taking the time to properly stretch before your set don’t be surprised if it continues.

Just my opinion FWIW.

• Baller

@LakeOneSkier no offense taken at all. I never used to stretch prior to skiing and this year I'm making a point to do it every time. Although I don't think I'm stretching effectively in the area I'm having pain. Planning to work on that. I have a foam roller but until reading @lakeaustinskier post just now was really not clear on how to target that particular muscle under my shoulder blade. Super helpful.

Something that did help this evening though... I had my 8 year old put all of her weight on a tennis ball and roll it back and forth. That was good stuff!

• Baller
I think some stretching is certainly a good thing overall, although not necessarily right before skiing. You want your muscles warm when stretching, so after is good or right after a shower, but right before skiing I'm a little more limited (mainly legs/hamstring and some overall dynamic stretching.) I think more important is warming up. Using all of the muscles in some light workout of legs (squats,) arms and upper back (could be warmed up at a pull up bar...even assisted so its a light working.) And get your heart rate up a little so you're pumping some blood through your body. And as mentioned before..... hydration is big.

• Baller

@quinne I think you need to determine if it is muscle knots, cramping, or something else. I had the same type of issues. Muscle pain in the rhomboid area, under the shoulder blades, predominantly on the left side. I went to my PT, got dry needling, messages, exercises, stretching, etc. Went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life and did about 15 visits with no relief. It turned out to be more a nerve issue from my cervical spine that presented as muscle type pain, called referred pain. However, you could have never convinced me of that prior to an MRI and the measure I took to try and correct it. See this image.ajcmo6ccc26c.jpg

I am pretty sure it had to do with some nerve compression. I wound up getting a cervical spine stretching device called a Saunders Cervical Traction unit hmat22vrcouo.jpg and took a months regiment of Meloxicam (prescription anti-inflammatory). I used the machine about 3 to 4 times a day for 10 minutes a session for about 6 weeks. After about 1 week I started to feel about 50% better and after about 1 month I felt 90% better. Now I use it once a day for maintenance. I still have a small tinge of pain every once in a while when I reach for something the wrong way, but I have not had anymore issues with skiing.

• Baller

Another vote here for lacrosse ball. Hug yourself to open up the scapula and get that lacrosse ball right in there. You can use a wall or for the full effect lie on your back on the floor with your legs up on a couch or something so that your whole back is relaxed.

Another thing I’ve been using are these Lure performance cupping cups. They are made of a soft plastic and you basically squeeze them and suction them on to your back right in that spot. A dab of massage cream really helps them get a good seal. Game changer, really helps loosen up those tissues.

• Baller
@Clydesdale I'm so glad you shared this. I follow Whitney on Instagram and remember watching this video when she first posted it. I forgot all about it! I'm going to bookmark it and start doing these. Side note- I was emailing back and forth with Whitney last fall about joining for her women's week camp. Timing didn't work out this year but hopeful to go in the future. She's a very nice person.