Selecting First Boat Response Vs Tornado

Rikamurf

We are buying a new boat and have narrowed it down to the following:

2002 Centurion Tornado....450 hours...$17k

2006 Malibu Response LXI...700 hours....$20k

The centurion is getting the transmission rebuilt and is from a dealer and the Bu is from a private seller.

We primarily slalom, but the kids will wakeboard a bit, though nothing serious and they primarily ski. My wife and I have both skied growing up, but no course skiing. Skiing is the most important but kids will wakeboard a bit.

Will use on Tablerock in Missouri and though we will target early morning and late in the day for good ski water, concerned the Response will not handle job very good if we take it out for a cruise mid day.

This will be our first boat as we have always used the in-laws boat that is a i/o, but live too far away now and want to get our own. Looking for DD as skiing is the primary preference

Not sure which direction to go and would love some feedback.

Thanks In advance...

• Baller
Response LXi will do both slalom and wakeboard better if it has a wedge. '06 was a great year for those. Find out from the seller if they ever had any issues with the damper plate. Indmar had a bad batch of bell housings around '05 and early '06 that caused premature damper plate failure in some boats.

• Baller
The Tornado is an Elite Bowrider and has a ballast system and tower. Much better ride in rougher water, but it’s a bigger boat. 21’-6” and a 100” beam. I skied behind mine at 34 mph and it was fine for open water skiing. Great family boat. The Response is a superior slalom boat with better fit and finish. For overall comfort and versatility, I’d pick the Centurion. Assuming, of course, that both boats are in comparable condition.

• Baller
Not talking down to you at all, but you’re in a slalom and 3 event skiing forum. You’re likely to get more answers geared in that direction here. As stated before, ski them both if you can. The response is a phenomenal ski boat and for that reason, resale will be higher amongst this market. If the Response has the “Wedge” it will likely put out enough wakeboard wake for all of your needs there. It would be great for your purposes, even the afternoon joyride. I’d go with the Response

• Baller
We loved our 06 Response LXI. Skied great, wedge added plenty of wake for the kids to wakeboard, lots of storage, super pretty on the water. The only issue we had was an occasional “chilly dip” with a rogue wave (our course is on a public lake and by afternoon the wakeboard boats are out)splashing over the nose. No problem as long as you boat with that in mind.

• Baller

i ski regularly behind an 05 Response (same hull) and it's a great wake even at slower speeds. You can dip the bow pretty easy like others said, it's easier to do than on my Sunsetter LXI - you have to run about 18-20 mph if you get caught in rough water.

whatever you choose do a lake test and ski it if possible.

• Baller

@rikamurf That really sux that someone did that to you, especially if you had paid a deposit. I learned that lesson with my very first boat. Owner and I had made an agreement, then he told me it was no longer for sale. Another buyer came by, presumably offered more. Gotta make a deposit. Although, these days, that can be risky too.

If you buy from any ballers, or most sellers on skititagain, this should never happen. If it does, they should be called out. My goodness, you were on your way to pick up the boat, and the owner bailed on you. Clearly a person of no moral character.