Critique my skiing!

PacMan

• Baller

Hey guys, just got some video of my current practice PB and it felt pretty good for the most part. Obviously not perfect but I was excited. I have been attempting to implement, as much as I can, what I've read about GUT. I have read and re-read the connection and swing thread and think the way the Adams have explained things in that have helped me a lot!

I know I need to work on my gates and I think also get over the front of my ski more heading into the turn. What do you all see?

Also, skiing behind a 86 MasterCraft Prostar, so no Zero Off or Perfect Pass.

28' 32' and 35'

• Baller_

Your gates did not seem bad to me. I think you do a great job in your glide for the gate.

You are standing tall and keeping the line tight until you turn in. That is a big foundation for a lot of good things happening. Shoulders looked to be back and decent body position through the wake.

One thing I noticed, though, was that you seem to get back on the handle (and even reach forward to grab it) before the finish of the turn. I think you would benefit from having the ski come around more before you grab the handle and load/pull.

Good skiing.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Any special reason why you ski at 32mph and shortening the rope at that speed ? Any intention of going at 34.2mph ? Just curious....At your gate pull just before you turn, you are going a bit slower than the boat and I think it is better to turn in at the same speed than the boat, it will gives you more space at buoy one.

Looking good !!!!

• Baller

@chris55 I have been skiing at 32 mph on and off at some shorter lengths in the course just to allow a little extra time so I can more easily work on the mechanics of what I need to do at that length. That was my first and only attempt at 35 and just figured what the hell. Lol.

I have and do ski at 34 mph and am intending on going back to 34 mph more or less permanently now. I just did not have the time to try that day, we only are able to put our course up on weekends and usually pull it out of the water by 10-11 before it gets too busy with traffic.

Thanks all!

• Baller

Definitely get wider for your gates, that will allow you to complete your pull behind the boat just like in the course and get wide for the 1 ball while also giving you more time for edge change.

I'd recommend free skiing 34 mph, simulating running the course (gates and all) which allows you to focus on technique...free ski at each line length, but as you shorten the line, remember to ski farther up on the boat like you have to do in the course, that will require you to manage slack.

• Baller
You do a lot of things correct & seem to be a natural. Your reach is great, stack is great. Wider gate for sure to have better angle and run an earlier line. DO you ski much? You move around & break a bit, that's indicates a lack of fitness. WOrk on getting wide & fitness. To be good I need to ski 4 days a week minimum. Good Luck!

• Baller

Nice,you have some hard to teach fundamentals like bias an stance in a good spot.

what i see... don't give the boat so much handle back in the coast and preturn, keep it tucked closer on the hip..

Appears the turn is abrupt, in order to reach forward and grab the handle in time before the line loads, and then you're trying to reel in the hips again. Sums up into too many corrective movements and lost power,

if you instead don't release and reach so soon. and kept the handle on your hip before extension, you can then release and rotate the ski back under the rope and get two hands on the handle before it loads again, and not compromise leverage by leaning forward to grab it.

Right now by the time you reel in the hips some, you are approaching centerline. if instead the body was stacked sooner, by finishing the rotation under the line, that started with how one holds the handle approaching the turn., you can use the geometry advantage and load the line at a sooner, wider point and with better stack than you are now; upon completing turn, with leverage, and use more of the available crosscourse force vector to your advantage, progressively loaded over a longer distance, thus more acceleration than a peak, quick tug