Wanted outboard ski boat

Wormsloe

• Baller
@Wormsloe I don't know what size of boat you're looking for but if something in the 18 foot range will do, I highly recommend a Glastron 180 GT. I have one and the wake is great for skiing. Also is very stable, rides very well even in rough water, very well made and handles very nicely. Throw an Evinrude eTec 150 or 150 HO on it and you've got yourself a winning combination. eTecs are great in every respect. Don't even look at any other type of outboard IMO.

• Baller

I’ll watch to see if my neighbor puts his Centurion barefoot warrior up for sale again. They had it for sale last year, thought it sold but then it showed up again late this summer. The glass on the hull looks good but I think it needs floors. Last time I saw someone grab the pylon it moved around like the stick shift on a manual transmission. They aren’t skiers,

I think they have it just to cruise around in.

I wish twin rigs were more common in the US. Not sure if the wakes are good but they fly and two high performance outboards just sound wicked.

• Baller

There are a lot of options, most of them getting older now so condition/care becomes really important:

Centurions: Warrior Barefoot Comp(owned one for 3 years) and Falcon Barefoot (rare bird but I owned one for 20 years): Great hulls, look cool, 225 and EFI is the ticket. Wood floors, terribly pylon mount lagged into wood stringers. We re-did ours right, one still in the family, and the wood is still good b/c we were meticulous. Gel is awesome, too. Warrior has a really tiny interior.

MC: Barefoot 200. MC quality, no tracking fins. Otherwise nice boat and should wear well...no wood. Also rare.

Flightcraft: later Malibu/Flightcraft. Once Malibu got this thing the quality went way up and wood went away. Sports car.

Barefoot Sanger: wakes like you have never seen they are so small. Tracks great, banks more in corners than the others. Wood construct so like the Centurions buying used be very careful.

Unless I knew the boat had meticulous care, I'd look MC200 or Malibu version of Flightcraft--otherwise you are asking for wood rotting issues and a project. I sold my '91 Centurion Falcon Barefoot last year to my nephew--but I knew he would have no issues that thing was mint with a quality re-do on the crappy factory pylon mount. Full of wood but the boat was never damp for long.

• Baller
I have owned a Flightcraft and a Ski Brendella Barefooter and both are fantastic slalom boats, the Brendella has really good tracking for and outboard. Im not a fan of the BF200 for slalom, it tracks horrible with the nose in the air and no fins, and the wake has a pretty good rooster tail. Sangers are great, and I would also look into Rapid Craft.

• Baller

@bananaron

The original Jcrafts were legendary boats in Canada (particularly in Ontario and Quebec).

Their last location was in Pefferlaw, Ontario.

Like many boatbuilders they succumbed to the 2008 financial crisis.

At the time they manufactured 2 models, the 17 foot Regatta and the 19 foot Pro Ski.

After they closed down, the 19 foot mold wound up with a fellow named John Spaeth. He was allowed by the original owner to make them on a custom order basis.

This guy is a seriously high quality builder.

A couple of years ago, some investors got together and wanted to revive JCraft. I don't know all of the ins and outs but there was some problem with producing the 19 foot model.

They made a new boat based on the old boat, it is wider and longer.

It apparently planes out almost instantly and handles great.

I haven't skied the new boat, but over the years I have skied behind dozens of the 19 foot boat. It had very small wakes. They were somewhat hard at shorter line lengths. They track well for an outboard but you can pull it around a fair amount.

It is a fantastic outboard ski boat.

I'll stick with inboards, but if you specifically want an outboard, this is a great one.

As an added bonus, it's priced in Canucks bucks; so it's a bargain for you U.S. guys.

• Baller
@Wormsloe Not a problem. The eTec is a 2 stroke yet it runs cleaner and has as good of fuel economy than a 4 stroke. Plus it's at least 100 lbs lighter and has over 130 less moving parts than a 4 stroke of the same horsepower. It's an amazing feat of engineering. I frequently have 3 people in the boat plus a couple medium sized dogs and we can haul a 200 lb skier up as fast as they want to be without any problem. Great hole shot. The Glastron SSV hull is also a terrific design so you owe it to yourself to look at their boats as a possibility. Terrific boats.

Another Vote For the Brendella Barefooter. Have had mine for 5 years now and its been a great boat. My driver says when I'm not skiing great that i drag it around a bit through the course but I dont really notice it moving and times are always in spec according to the perfect pass.