When to pull out? (edit: for the gates!)

CGSki

• Baller

Hi folks,

Hoping some of you can can help me understand the timing of my setup for the gates. For a skier at 15 off, as the boat speed increases (in this case lets say from 30 to 32mph) should my pull out for the gates be earlier or later? Since the pull out sets your timing for the turn in, is that turn towards the gates happening earlier or later?

I'm going in circles about this because the faster boat speed would make me think you pull out earlier, but you carry more speed across the course, so maybe it's later. Or maybe that all evens out and you turn at the same time?

Thanks ballers!

• Administrators
@CGSki I'm going to answer this question by not answering this question. Everybody needs to find their own timing. You need to probably use the boat and the green balls as your indicator and experiment. The one thing you must do is be consistent on your width and pull out. Obviously if you are going too slow and drifting when it's time to turn in you pulled out too soon. If you're going too fast when it's time to turn in you pulled out too late... don't make it complicated. Change one thing at a time

• Baller

With Horton here, you want to pull out wide, as much as you can. So where you are you want to be outside (to the left of) the buoys line. And when you get out there you want to be there so you are still advancing a bit on the boat or neutral- line tension but NOT where it is pulling you back in. Think of the boat as your enabler- you will go out, glide bit and then roll in with tension.

• Baller
Faster boat speed will make your glide longer, therefore you will be pulling out sooner at 32 than 30. I have just gotten to where I start at 32mph. Possibly still using a 30mph opener in tournaments. at 30mph I wait till the nose of the boat is just about right at the 55s. At 32 mph I pull out when nose of the boat is 12 or so feet in front of the 55s.