Stuck Impeller

MNshortliner

• Baller

Had a really tough impeller on a V-drive that wouldn’t budge. Last time I changed it was probably 3-4 years ago, this boat doesn’t get used but maybe 15-20 hours a year. Impeller still looked pretty good, no missing fins. I have an impeller puller but that did not work. Ended up taking the water pump off the fly wheel to work on it in a vise.

Tried letting penetrating oil sit over night and still did nothing. Put the pump in a vise to pull with 2 Vise Grips and still stuck. Also hit it with a hammer and punch on the inside of the impeller core but that did not break it loose. So I ended up using a wood chisel to cut slices down the rubber of the impeller and removed all the rubber off the core.

pwbwrh8fqdim.jpeg

I did not have any short thin saws-all blades so cut down a shorty with a regular tin snips. Carefully cut trough the core about 80-90% thru the brass so not to hit the splined shaft.

kvs8r7x9fmba.jpeg

Split the core of the impeller with a hammer and screw driver and it popped right off. After the core came off I inspected the splined shaft and could not find one mark on it from the saw blade. I did use some anti seize on the shaft but after a couple of years it may not keep it from doing this again next time.

ualnp70gzzy4.jpeg

• Baller

@oldjeep the shaft of the water pump and the impeller where stuck together. The hooks on the impeller puller would just “slip” on the rubber.

I posted this to maybe help someone out in the future. Once I decided to cut it out, it was out in about 30 minutes not really a big deal. I don’t plan on pulling the impeller every year and leaving it out.

• Baller
I don't know - in the long run it has been cheap to change it every 150 hours or so and keep a spare in the glovebox for an emergency. Even after 150 they are like new unless you are running them dry. Waste of resources to be throwing away perfectly good impellers.

• Baller

@jpwhit This is the impeller puller I have. It is not designed to grab anything but the rubber core and dig its claws into the rubber to remove the impeller. I don’t see how you could get to the back of the impeller to bypass the rubber and get the hooks onto the back side of the metal. In the vise I had 2 vise grip needle nose pliers locked on and it did not budge while giving it a good “yank”. That’s why I ended up cutting it out.

5a9nh3mx3bda.jpeg

@oldjeep i also have probably 5 impellers laying around and in boats from pulling them and installing new ones. All look new and great for back ups.

• Baller

The metal hub molded into the impeller doesn't go all the way to the front and back of the impeller. This is what I use. If you put it all the way in and clamp the jaws down really tight, the jaws will push through the rubber and grab onto the hub.

h8tremcqrset.jpg