Recommendations for Swim Platform Cover

Edmund

• Baller
I am wanting a swim platform cover for a 2008 SN 196. Just replaced the pads and want to avoid sun damage again. The boat sits on a covered lift all year but the platform catches sun all day long. I have an excellent boat cover already so looking for recommendations for just a swim platform cover that would be easy on/off but still secure for those windy days. I searched the internet and found a variety of options, and hoping someone here has a good recommendation. Thanks!

• Baller_
Lowes or HomeDepot. On the cheap, use 1/2 or 1" thick blue foam sheet (4x8) cut to shape and size. It's light, water proof and easy to move about. If it has to stay in the boat while skiing, cut it in half the long way and add tape to one side and fold for storage. Set a small flat weighted object on it so it does not blow off when in use.

• Baller
@Edmund I had looked into having a simple cover made for my swim platform and transom that would attach to the rear of the existing mooring cover and sort of just hook the rear edge of the platform. I spoke with a guy who makes boat covers. He suggested a tightly woven mesh fabric that would protect it from the sun, but breathe, and enable the platform to dry. Otherwise it would get moldy. I would have had it made, but the guy quoted me a ridiculously high price. Let me know if you find a reasonable source and price.

• Baller

@edmund I have a "flap" sewn on the back of my cover, same sunbrella as the cover. It goes from just under the rubrail then down to the platform, and around the sides and down around the back edge of platform a few inches. There is elastic in the "corners" to keep it engaged to platform corners from blowing up. Prior cover / boat (which I had this added to) had some snaps, but doesn't seem necessary.

Keep it independent of the rope to tighten the cover. I had it this way on my first due one to cover person not doing what I asked for, and didn't like it, it was harder to tighten. I'm now on my 2nd boat / 2nd identical designed cover (flap independent of drawstring) and am happy with the design.

My boat is not allowed to see sun (OCD), there is a velcro connection between the rear flap and the side skirts.

q552z9u28zjh.jpg

• Baller
Any decent fabric shop should be able to make one out of sunbrella. Have a bungee cord sewn inside to help keep it snug so the wind doesn't blow it off. My boat was moored in the water all season and the cover worked and lasted 3-4 years. Should last longer if boat is on a lift.