WTF is Pato Font doing!

Horton

• Baller

@Horton Thanks for the Pandas. My first.

@klindy Definitely pre-turn. Freeze the video. Ski starts backward but makes too much turn before leaving wake. Don't worry, I cannot do the trick correctly or incorrectly and am amazed at his talents but the one shown is NC in my book.

• Administrators
@skibackwards If you find me a video of any skier ever doing a cleaner SL7B than Pato's inverted spin above and I will send you a case of the beer of your choice.

• Baller

@Horton o assume you mean it’s rotated in the same direction. But it is two different tricks. Each starts from a different wrapped back position. So arguably some might call them reverse tricks. You'd think it was defined, but nowhere in the AWSA or IWWF rulebook does it say a reverse trick has to spin in the opposite direction.

It’s implied and we’re all taught that way, but after I saw these videos, I had to look it up and there is specific language about some flips and a couple step over tricks but nowhere does it say a reverse spins in the opposite direction. At least I can’t find any language that says that.

• Baller

I would give credit for either (not both - not a reverse). If pressure is loading on the ski edge, it is not pre-turn. A certain amount of load is required to execute the trick. @KJackfrost can you educate us on the finer points of that?

... and @klindy he is starting from the same back position on both tricks. In any case, a back is a back! The rotation is the same. Those would be reverse tricks only in bizarro world.

I think with the counter-rotated version he's prepping for the FflipL7BB :smile:

• Baller
It is the same trick, same spin direction, but first is inverted (spinning in the opposite direction of travel), second is normal spin direction. I think that Pato's imagination and what he and other young skiers manage to come up with is what will continue to make the discipline so exciting. Innovation will lead to new world records

• Administrators

@klindy not buying it. You're telling me and if I do two WOs both traveling left to right, 1 clockwise rotation and 1 counterclockwise rotation that you wouldn't score that as a standard and reverse trick?

wqob9asoguk0.gif

wqob9asoguk0.gifwqob9asoguk0.gif

• Baller

I think this is analogous to wakeboarding where you can spin frontside or backside. There are 8 different 360s you can do on a wakeboard.

Edit: never mind... after watching again he is starting in the same position and rotating the same direction... same trick.

• Baller

My primary point is the rulebook doesn't say a reverse is 'rotated in the opposite direction'. I realize it the same trick and therefore a repeat. But there's always a creative thinker out there who can do tricks which we haven't seen. I think it's Pato that does a SLB without moving his upper body and passing the handle behind his back. It works but clearly doesn't look like a typical SLB. I love the creativity!

• Baller
@klindy - are you so sure? What I see is the same starting position, same landing position, same rotational direction and on the same wake. The only difference is how the maneuver crosses the wake. One is outside in, and the other is inside out. Totally bad a$$ skills, too.

• Baller
@toddl we’ve been thru this. It’s the same trick. My comment was about the potential with a 540 degree turn to start in two different back positions and rotate the same direction. The question is whether that should be considered a “reverse”. The rule book does not say a reverse needs to rotate in the opposite direction. It was a rhetorical question basically.