What is this substance?

Skoot1123

• Baller

Hey Ballers - I have a question about a substance on the bottom of our boat. I noticed this summer a bit more oxidation on the sides and decided to get serious about removing it. In process of buffing the rest of the boat I thought it would remove the stuff on the bottom, but it has proven otherwise. The best description I can think of is that maybe it is dried wax? If I take my fingernail and scratch it the white substance flakes off and the gel is nice and smooth underneath. Any ideas for what it might be and how best to remove it? 5mj74zw5ritv.jpeg

Thanks Ballers!

• Baller

Not sure what it is, but I would just use some Collinite 940 fiberglass boat cleaner and follow it up with a couple of coats of 885 fleetwax. That combo keeps my mostly black boat shining, ought to work fine for red. If it doesn't come off then you have not applied enough elbow grease with the cleaner.

4gge6a8b2zie.jpg

ofl9mhypwzv8.jpg

• Baller

@MISkier - that is an interesting idea. Our lake water could be a contributor to that and the lake that the boat was previously in could also exacerbate that.

I did spray on some Starbrite instant hull cleaner this past Saturday. It did help break it up a bit and turned it whiter, so I think it did work. I have some Mary Kate On Off Gel coming as well. Maybe that will cut it further or altogether.

@oldjeep - ah, I have heard of Collonite 940. That may cut it pretty good. Your boat looks fantastic. There are also some “spots” on the sides that are pretty stubborn. For buffing I have been using buff magic. Seems pretty good so far, but would be even better if it could solve the spotting issue. Unfortunately those spots don’t show up in pictures.

• Baller
I learned the hard way to remove lime. If you have the time and will, and determine this is in fact lime, sure you can elbow grease it away. Or spray Lime-away on it, give it minute and wipe away. You can do the entire boat in very short order. It doesn't need to be hard:)

• Baller

@oldjeep - Interesting. Hopefully your hull hasn’t been as dirty as mine is at the moment.

Any layer of scuzz on the bottom/sides of the boat would in my opinion act as slight buffer for the gelcoat when doing the acid wash/rinse chemical work. Once the acid/chemical is washed off you for sure would want to get some type of protectant on the hull right away. For me, I’ll be doing a three stage buff/wax/polish. The polish will keep the surface smooth and make it less prone to additional scuzz. Has your experience been different than that?

• Baller
+1 on using Lime Away or CLR. If it was light, vinegar would do the trick and after removing it, in the future wipe downs with 50/50 vinegar / water after every use will keep the lime off. No reason to subject your gel coat to hard buffing, especially when that is pretty ineffective, when a simple spray -on, wipe off will do the trick. Lime away or CLR will not hurt the gel coat.

• Baller
@Skoot1123 - yes, in my experience the acid does something to the gel coat that makes it either more porous or rougher, causing it to get skuzzy faster. Best bet is to just keep it clean and covered in a good coat of wax all the time. If you have hard water, use something like Marine 1 wax as you dry as a wipe down. The water I boat in is pretty hard and you get white water spots all over the boat without it.

• Baller
Another good tip, a friend has been getting to my lake early to ski a few times a summer and putting one of the newer ceramic coatings on my boats. With this stuff on the fiberglass, I have been able to ditch the vinegar and wipe down without it after hanging the boat each day. I never get any water spots any more and the stuff is really slippery, easier to wipe down. I used to be a big advocate of using 303 on the gel coat, but I believe this stuff is better.

• Baller
@sethro - it does go all under the boat. I would say what shows is a tiny bit under the water line. Our usual procedure is to wipe the boat down after every use. (Sits on a cradle out of the water). It really is a curious thing. I used some distilled vinegar this evening and that didn’t take it off either. I am thinking there are now two options: Mary Kate On Off Gel and a wet sand of the hull. Sure hoping On-Off gel can take care of the rest.

• Baller
I would try Bio-Kleen Fiberglas and hull cleaner spray before I would start any buffing wheels. It has removed red clay water stains on white hull amazingly well. Doesn’t impact the gel coat and easy to wax back to shiny finish.

• Baller

star brite hull cleaner. No elbow grease. Put it on with a sponge just working along and the stuff you applied it to just starts to melt away as you move along, so double back quickly and rinse copiously. Once all done wax her up.

If that doesn't take off whatever you have there--shoot I dunno.

• Baller
Simple, quick test. If it is calcium carbonate (hard water that evaporated to dryness and accummulated) if you apply an acidic solution (muriatic acid, phos-acid which is lime away) and it "dissolves or fizzes or bubbles, then it is a mineral salt. If you apply an alkaline solution (caustic) and it comes off, if is organic. Acids do not clean organics and caustic solutions do not clean mineral salts. Based on the pics, it is simply calcium carbonate. Lime Away will dissolve it easily. Just give it a good rinse after cleaning. Phosphoric acid is a pretty weak acid and will not hurt the Gelcoat. Good luck.

• Baller

Well folks - finally - after trying a lot of different combinations and frustration I bought some straight muriatic acid from Ace hardware. Started spreading it around with a rag and felt like it was doing something but to be sure I had to pull the boat out of the barn. Out in the open I sprayed it on a small spot to see what it would do - it fizzed like crazy! Not sure why there was such a difference between spraying vs wiping it on but there was. Finally - after a couple hours I have a nice and pristine looking hull.

tf1du0lq2888.jpeg

dwabxuh8au25.jpeg

• Baller

Sorry, I didn't see there was a second page so I wrote a long post saying it's dried algae/biofilm and you'll need to use a strong acid to remove it. Most boat hull algae removers contain phosphoric and/or oxalic acid. I used Muriatic like you did but I diluted it 50/50 with water.

I don't think using baking soda to neutralize the acid is necessary. Just spray everything down hard with a pressure washer using lots of water to dilute the acid and you'll be fine. ;)

• Baller

To prevent that sort of buildup from ever returning, I wax the hull every spring and then wipe the hull completely clean of biofilm using rags and a bucket of water every time I pull the boat out of the water on its trailer. Never give that crap the chance to dry on the hull. It's super easy to clean off when the boat has just come out of the water; it takes way more work to get it off once it's dried on the hull.

My old boat was 40 years old when I sold it and the underside of the hull stiĺ looked great because I followed the above regime every year without fail.