new engine

AJP0626

• Baller
Likely the least expensive and easiest option is not to replace, but rebuild. Removing the original engine is easy. Have a good shop completely rebuild and you’re fresh and ready to reinstall, which is also pretty easy. A fresh motor will give you excellent service for many many years . Rebuilding also keeps all your mounts, connections, hoses, cables, and controls exactly as they are. Having been this route I can honestly say it’s not that hard to do and your boat runs like new again. Call some good machine shops and get prices . I did the removal and reinstallation in my garage, with only an engine hoist needed, which can even be rented easily. Assuming no major problems like cracked heads etc, you can get a high quality rebuild if your small block for at most $2k , ready to reinstall. If my engine ever tires again I won’t think twice about going this route again .

• Baller

@AJP0626

I would do a compression check on each cylinder first. If they're similar and all are within spec, I would start with a head rebuild, including new valves, seals, springs, and a de-carboning. We did this to a buddy's 350 Chevy, and it feels like it's putting out 300+ horses. AND, it stopped burning oil.

2Valve

• Baller_
@AJP0626 - Are you focused on only getting a new engine or amenable to either a crate engine or a rebuild? Ford or Chevy? how many hours is a lot? As you can see from previous comments a wide range on cost depending on which path you take.

• Baller
I rebuilt 205 V in 2020 I bought motor from Michigan for less than $3500. I have a very good mechanic and his charge was about 1500 to pull out old motors and I install. We did the risers and manifolds for another 1200 as I recall in parts from and another $500 in labor. I did it all for a lot less than 15K but it helps for ur mechanic to be loyal and a good friend

• Baller
I have a '91 Supra that I've had since it was my promo boat. Ran it in the salt water on and off for ~20 years with no freshwater cooling. With one top-end rebuild, it lasted for more than 20 years before finally rotting through from the inside out (we flushed it without fail every day). Considered re-build, but we found a '04 ZR6 on craigslist for 5K. At that point, the engine was 9 years old with 50 hours on it (came from a wrecked boat). We had to completely re-do the entire fuel delivery system, so I figure the entire thing cost me about $7k doing it ourselves. Worth every penny. Tons of power, way more fuel efficient, and runs the stargazer system with the z-box as well as a 2014 ZO Mastercraft I ski behind... Definitely recommend casting a wide net for engines out of wrecked boats, even if they're 5 + years old! Of course, if your boat's got a 1" shaft, do be careful with all the extra torque the new engines put out....that's another story.

• Baller

@GaryJanzig yes many have,

I can add, i've recently taken a carbed 240hp 1100hour 351 to likely 330-340hp with new bearings, chain, alum heads, oil pump, seals, ss exhaust, cam, lifters, pushrods, roller rockers, alum intake and timing cover, crank driven water pump, 140 pound diet for about 3900 soup to nuts. couple hundred on tools i didn't have but choose to buy vs rent or borrow. Some parts i had already accumulated but that number includes typical retail for those items. it pulls hard everywhere, holds ski speed like a rock, and quite efficiently

I've acquired a low mileage all aluminum LM4 5.3 from a trailblazer for a future towboat project, for $500. Cam and springs will get it from 290 to 320-330 easy. Found a 4" diameter mercuiser heat exchanger for it for 80 bucks.

should be good somewhat clean fun.

• Baller_
@GaryJanzig - rebuild cost will be impacted by how much of the work you are willing to do. Doing all the assembly yourself saves a lot and if you take the parts to a machine shop for refurbishing you should end up fairly cheap, hard to give a number until you know what is required. Correct craft fan site has several owners that have done the Ford rebuild thing and can help with parts / costs. New DI install will cost some coin, getting all the electronics and software may be the biggest challenge. Motor mounts and bellhousings may not be the most significant impediment to a mill swap.

• Baller
@GaryJanzig - a simple rebuild of your engine is unquestionably the easiest and least expensive way to go, and your boat will run like new. I did the removal and reinstall action of mine and it was not difficult. My rebuild of the 5.7 GM long block and refresh of the heads was only about $1,500. NAPA machine shop picked it up at my house, did all the work and delivered back to my garage. Having never done a marine removal and install I was nervous but just took a ton of pictures of everything along the way and labeled EVERYTHING to know exactly how things connected and went back together. Unless you’d be unhappy with your boats performance if it were brand new - IMO this is the way to go. Use the time now to scout and screen machine shops to find one you’ll trust and has great references. That’s the hardest part. It’s great having a totally fresh engine again!

• Baller_
If you do a rebuilt you will also help a local small business if you take your stuff to a local machine shop. The R&R on a marine DD ski boat engine is very easy. In addition, you can find used engine stands and cherry pickers dirt cheap, which is what you need to remove and hold the engine during tear down and assembly. If not you can probably rent.

@dbski yeah, theyre all aftermarket builds. The GM blocks have always been great crate motors. Mercruiser makes some darn nice motors and that twin turbo motor is actually a good price. Except you cant put those turbos under an engine housing without cooling jackets and etc.....bummer... Would be nice tho.

• Baller
It's crazy how much horsepower is easily available these days. I'm old enough to remember when 400 HP was a big f---ing deal. The new GT 500, 760 HP with a full warranty. It also idles at 700 rpm's and gets over 20 mpg on the highway.

• Baller
I'd prefer not to have a turbo charger on an engine. The extra heat and higher compression shorten the life of the engine, and make it more expensive to fix. Check out the Endurance, the electric pickup truck from Lordstown Motors. The hub motors would be a great way to repower a ski boat. Four of them would easily fit under an existing engine cover. 600 HP with four of them. but two or three of them would do the job.