Rewrapping Wiley Super Jumps

MI3Eventer

• Baller

Get some longer screws like 2" long and plain non-acorn nuts

Stick the long screws through the plate and stack up all the parts at the heel and at the back of the front overlays, you can use regular screws all around the front of the toe. The long screws let you get everything together and start drawing things down then you switch them for regular hardware while its clamped in a vice.

Once everything is stacked use clamps or I usually use a bench vice to pull the horseshoe and plate down then with it clamped use a electric drill to run the long screws out then put the acorn nut in the hole all the way and start your new screw by hand and snug it up.

Make sure when you clamp the horseshoe that the long screw doesn't angle off to the side under the tension in the overlays. Particularly on the double stuff and super jump this can be a bear and will pull the screw inwards. You can sort of pull outwards on the screw/plastic as you snug it up to get things straight.

If the overlays aren't already punched you'll probably want to pick up a rotary hole punch so that your holes won't tear out. Don't use a drill.

You can also heat up to burning a small nail and poke through but that smells terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Economy-Rotary-3220-00/dp/B001685R6W

• Baller

@MI3Eventer if you want to hear cursing as you're fighting to draw the overlay into position you knock over your tray of hardware and all the acorn nuts scatter off the work bench and around the floor. Then being stainless they are poorly magnetic so you crawl around looking for the missing ones.

Finally you give up and you dig an old binding out of a closet and pirate the hardware.

A year later someone is coming over who has a small foot and you go looking for that old small wiley plate to mount on a ski and you realize it is missing half its acorn nuts.

So I should add - order up a bunch of spare hardware if you use Wileys.

Which reminds me.... I need some more nuts.

chhejwwhwxkd.jpg