Butterknife Vs Syndicate

CPC_1

Picking up new to me ski for the new season from SIA. Looking at a 67” Butterknife and a 68” Syndicate V-type. I’m an open water skier and haven’t ventured into the course yet. For what it’s worth, I’m 50, 6’0” and 180. I like to ski around the 32-34mph. Thanks for any input ballers.

@CPC_1 Those skis are both pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum - the Butterknife being a very stable open water ski for a max speed of around 30mph, and the V-Type being a course ski "meant" for 34-36mph (could definitely be used at 32-34mph).

What are you currently skiing on?

• Baller

I would not ski that butterknife at your weight above maybe 26/27. I weigh the same and have skied a butterknife many times behind a pontoon at full throttle 24ish fun ski for that!

If you are meaning to ski the course you might do better on the butterknife and spend a few weeks or months it will ski the course at much lower speeds and my opinion is get a ski to let someone run the course as slow as the boat needs to be as early in their skiing career as possible. By that I mean if you show up at my house and say you ski 34 open water I will put you on my HO hovercraft and go 15 if that's what it takes to get a full pass and we will switch skis and speed up but I do not let people ski 1 @15 off 32 4 times in a row. You get on a fat ski and we slow down and make passes.

• Baller

@bsmith used to years ago when my fat ski options were horrendous. I think we were just torturing people - put them on an obrien amigo with a slider binding and send them out there long line. The falls were at least funny.

Now I don't usually mostly because that extra 15 feet of rope is always removed so its not all coiled up in the boat and I use it for mooring lines and such. And also if the person isn't reliable on deep water starts it sounds silly but that extra rope makes getting set back up a longer process every time.