DV8 VersaTail

Horton

• Baller
@Horton All tails are the same length? Any one of them easier than another to get consistent DFT measurements? Looks like the answer to question 2 would be an obvious “square is easier than round” but just thought I’d ask since you’ve got one and I don’t. Yet

• Administrators

@aupatking I think you need to change your DFT methods a little with the DV8.

Just spitballing here.....

Start with the standard tail. Set a base DFT. Adjust as needed. When you change to the sharp or round tail you need to remeasure and note the delta.

We measure DFT as if the distance from the back of the fin to the physical tail of the ski is critical. That not really what is important. The way we measure is DFT is just a shortcut to finding the distance between the fin "Center Of Pressure" and the bindings.

So even though the DFT measurement maybe different with different tails I think it is a mistake to think that you need to move your fin so the DFT number stays the same.

Does that make any sense???

• Baller

@joelhowley says always measure the fin with stock tail regardless of which tail you are using for measurements. Swap it in, measure, swap it it out.

Note that the instructions that came with the ski say you can measure DFT without any block on at all for consistency.

Joel's post is in this thread:

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/24021/the-2021-dv8-featuring-versatail-by-connelly-skis/p3

He still owes a fin set up video. :)

• Baller

fin block looks sweet!!

Have to ask.... I know a lot of design goes into a total ski... to have the base flow into the tail and for everything to work in conjunction with all other aspects.

is it possible to have one base design work with 3 different tails? I look forward to you review @Horton

• Baller

@Dchristman tip shape? No, but that's the area of the ski we're looking at.

@BraceMaker we started C.A.P.T. (Connelly Advanced Profile Technology) back in the day to move away from flat top skis. The DV8 and GT-R are quite a bit more traditional than some previous models though. That came from another JH. :)

• Administrators
@dchristman that must be it! the stupid stickers. @Sethski actually can't run a pass if he doesn't have a sticker on the tip of his ski!

• Baller
@Horton to be fair, I like the size sticker...but do you need to understand I’d go toe to toe with no size sticker, overhand grip, opposite foot forward with you any day...challenge extended my friend...as long as I can ride my DV8...(for clarification...we will both be opposite foot forward)