HO Direct Connect Adapter Plates?

BrennanKMN

• Baller

I recently picked up a 1 year old HO FreeRide on SIA as a ski for a few of my friends that are learning to slalom. I got a killer deal on it, so I didn't do my research like I should have.

Turns out it uses a different binding hole pattern, the HO direct connect system, the holes are all down the center of the ski. I bought the ski hoping to use some of my old Radar bindings and an older Radar RTP on it considering it is more of a budget loner ski.

I searched around and cannot seem to find an adapter plate. All I can find is a plate for adapting HO direct connect bindings to to other skis, not adapting standard boots to HO's direct connect skis.

Has anyone run across this before? I am thinking I may have made an expensive mistake. I am probably going to end up drilling out holes in my existing bindings and mounting them using the direct connect system if I cannot find an adapter plate. Buying new (or used) bindings would likely cost more than the ski is worth.

• Baller

I bet @mmosley899 or @teammalibu could make you something.

I think it’s unfortunate that the brands go down these roads every few years on their own hole patterns. They always end back up at the industry standards.it will make it hard in the coming years to make these skis usable at a reasonable price if at all.

• Baller

@BrennanKMN drill your plates, no added cost to your purchase. Do this only if you are using radars on aluminum plates, if you are using feather frames please don’t.

Drill only the holes needed at the diameter of the screws. Don’t do the 3 side by side slots that the direct connect have. Their aluminum plate is usually thicker than standard mount plates. If I remember correctly the screws for the direct connect are M6 truss head ph3, or pz3 , ph or pz not important, it’s good though to have the right screwdriver, or at least a philips 3 that works fairly well with pozidriv, not the other way around.

Anyway this is doable and it won’t cost you anything if you can do it yourself.

Alex,

• Baller

I am probably going to just end up drilling my existing bindings. I'll probably have to find a metal RTP to drill, but hopefully that can be had on SIA cheap. I might also just use 3M Dual Lock, I have some of that left over from a previous ski.

The more I thought about an adapter plate the more I realized it would have to be pretty thick. The plate would either have to be threaded to receive screws from the traditional hole pattern boot, or the plate would have to be thick enough to countersink a bolt head in it and then you can use a nut on the top of the traditional hole pattern boot.

• Baller

@skialex well done.

I did the other way with a RTP that I had around I used dowel marking pins to transfer the locations of all the ski inserts to the foam on the RTP and then drilled through. The screw heads are very proud there isn't enough meat on a 1/8" aluminum plate to use countersunk screws. So I took a 1/4" EVA and recessed the screws into that then added a rubber inlay on top. Made the RTP too snug so I took that back off the ski and bought a HO RTP.

So my next project is going to be to get another MOB plate and just stick the whole thing down with VHB (on my hovercraft) and then set up a few different front boots on different sole plates for guests with the HO adjustable rear RTP.