Floating a Basta lift across a lake.

Wish

• Baller

Need call water and no surf boats...

I’ve seen lifts floated across lake with the 4” thick foam pieces 4’ x 4’ or so in each corner.

I’ve also seen a lift be moved by two pontoons. They were nose to nose and the lift was on the portion in front of the fence, if that makes sense.

Also could use the foam floating mats rolled up:

https://rossowater.net/products/rosso-water-mat-floating-foam-for-lakes-oceans-pools?variant=32687807725704&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2021-03-03&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJWF1azU7wIVOQ2tBh07HgsUEAQYASABEgLehfD_BwE

That lift is likely about 600-700 lbs. Similar to @davidn idea, raise lift, borrow (2) 2x4x12” (minimum) dock floats and put UNDER the main runners, ratchet strap in place (with control box on top of one of the floats, also strapped). Then hit down on remote (which will float lift feet) and then go SLOW! Reverse at the other end.

You could strap to boat, but I’d want feet as high as possible, especially at destination site.

• Baller
I have no knowledge, no experience, and certainly no expertise. However, is it possible to float the lift on a boat trailer, and move it by land. It could be disastrous to lose that lift in the middle of a deeeep lake, not to mention time consuming and possibly expensive. I doubt that you will have control of wake boats while you do this task.

One more thing...since the runners fall to the rear of this lift when in the “down” position, the lift will likely be unbalanced when you first float it. Just support the front till you get to deeper water and then use the remote to drop the legs and re-balance. One person in the water (or an extra float/inner tube at the front) would do. Raise the legs again when you get to your destination.

Good luck!

• Baller
I’ve moved mine with 4 55 gallon drums. Sank the drums and winch strapped one drum to each of the four lower cross members. Then remove the lower plug of the barrell and use compressor to fill with air. (Water evacuates the same hole you’re pumping air into). Then restore the bottom plug. My lift was not hydraulic though, so not sure how well this approach might work for you.

• Baller
I have moved mine down a lake and back using an 8x8 swim raft. The front cross-bar was on the center of the raft the back legs were put on ski boat platform and tied off to the rear lift eyes. Idle speed and a cooler.

• Baller

super easy ive done it many times. go very slow in early am, foam blocks at a 45 under each corner. it doesnt take much to float them, esp if you dont have a canopy. a rope w a buoy is a good idea too.

• Baller

I have moved boat lifts over water with a 14’ aluminum boat, float bags and modular plastic dock. For short and moderate distances, the modular plastic dock works best. Twice a year we move four lifts with a length of my modular dock.

For the hydraulic cantilever lift, we strap the dock to the cradle and lower it so the whole lift floats.

Now I typically use the 14’ boat to tow rather than the ski boats.

o9bolpi2meom.jpeg

xfu02lc5mxu7.jpg

r9d9mfgp45je.jpg