Why do some skis whistle?

MarkM

• Baller

Its gotta be a harmonics problem. water flowing over the holes creates pressure and when just the right combination of frequency/pressure is reached you whistle.

My first Obrien world team howled. So did my goode 9200 and a radar senate my D3 did not - so if the pressures don't line up right no noise. Could probably take a ski that howls and deburr holes and see what happens.

• Baller

I posted this back in 2017 when this topic came up:

Never, but it would be neat to have an audio feedback device indicating speed that attaches to the ski. I found this patent intended for tennis rackets, golf clubs, and bats. Why not a ski?

Here's one for golf http://www.swingwhistle.com/

@AdamCord @adamhcaldwell I think this needs to be another Denali exclusive feature. The GUT-Whistle ...

A training and marketing winner!

Now I'm wondering about the real purpose of the hole in that "Cypress Gardens" Tech-85.

• Baller

My first "real" waterski was a KD7000 from the early 2000's. The blue one, just like in this picture:

b5l5ctsoqc3y.png

It whistled like crazy. I've never had another ski do that... at least not to nearly the same extent.

• Baller
When the Adams first suggested putting washers under the fin block I did it to my Mapple 6.0 and it started to whistle, like @A_B I put duct tape over the gap and it stopped whistling.