Radar Senate Size?

Nicourrutia

Hi! I am looking for advice before buying a Radar Senate. I am 150 lbs, 45 years old Novice open skier, I am starting in the course at 30 mph. My actual Ski is a 66 HO Vtype. Acording to radar site I should use 65 but it seems small.

Thanks for the advice!!

• Baller_
As a general rule, the manufacturer’s recommended size and settings information is the place to start. The Senate is a wider version of the Vapor, and hence a shorter Senate may actually have the same or more surface area than the one inch longer Vapor. For example, I ride the 68” Vapor but would ski (and have skied) the 67” Senate.

Lpskier

• Baller
FWIW, I was skiing a 68" 2019 Vapor Pro Build and tried a 67" Senate Pro Build, hoping the surface area difference would allow me to ride the smaller ski. I found the 67" Senate to be too small vs. my 68" Vapor. Speeds were 32 and 34 mph, 22 to 28-off. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Baller

@Nicourrutia as explained by @lpskier the senate is 2 tenths of an inch wider than the vapor, so even though it’s smaller at 65” it has more surface area than a 66” vapor.

At your weight and speed I would recommend any of the 65” senates, can’t go wrong. Either the senate lithium or senate alloy is what I would recommend.

• Baller_
@Anderson I’m surprised you had that experience. I skied the 67” Senate Pro and thought it might be the best ski I’ve ever tried at 34/-28 and -32. While I do like the 68” Vapor better overall, I thought the Senate was spectacular even though I only rode it twice. Maybe your fin settings were off. I set the ski I tried exactly to stock. I weigh 182.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier Sorry, I should have been more clear. I loved the Senate Pro - not as fast as my Vapor but incredibly predictable both on and off-side. I think for someone of my skills (22 and 28-off and skiing a mix of 32 and 34 mph) it is the perfect ski, but at 210-215 lbs, I felt like the 67 Senate was too small for me. If Radar offered a 68 Senate, I'd be on it now. I sold my 67 to a friend at our club and it transformed his skiing :-)

• Baller
I'm 6'2" 210lbs and got a 2020 69" Senate Graphite. I had not skied for 22 years and now on the course again. Great Ski but If I did it again I would have gone for a pro-build or Lithium. As @Horton has pointed out, the build / edition of these skies has a significant impact on how they ski. I read this before buying; but should have taken it more literally. Coming off a 1996 Connelly Revolution Speedbase, the "activeness" of modern ski felt strange at first compared to the super stiff and dead feeling of my old Connelly.