Struggling to get up behind boat

KuduZA

Hi, happy to be apart of the community I am a south african.

I started to get involved in slalom skiing, I have never done the sport before or used combo's. it's whole new learning experience for me.

Now the issue I am having is getting up and I am sure my technique is a big cause of this as I am still learning from a friend. When we went, we were only 3 people, 1 driver, 1 spotter and myself on the ski. Driver has decent experience pulling a ski.

Personal info.

Age- 23

Height- 1.76m/5.7ft

Weight- 98kg/216lbs

I have a strong athletic background. Athletics/cross country/Rugby/Golf/3 Gun Shooting.

Ski info.

HO 69 inch slalom

I have ordered a new set of combo ski's as well. Connelly Quantum 68 inch. I have also ordered a deep V ski rope

Is my boat underpowered?

It's a Expression TT 18ft (Locally manufactured boat) with an Evinrude Etec 115, Proppeller spec - Rebel 15x17 Pitch

The boat has an excellent holeshot, planes really fast with 5 to 7 people on the boat. Boat pulls my friend out of the water with 5 people in the boat with a slalom he weighs around 80Kg's. He is really good skier I might add.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Baller
You have to work to get out of the water behind a boat with only 115 HP. That is the primary reason I sold my 140HP runabout years ago in favor of a 350HP crossover ski boat. I'd suggest trying to get out of the water with a drop ski to start.

• Baller
Its all technique. Keep at it, you'll get it just as your friend can. A 115hp outboard on an 18' shouldnt have a problem. 69" slalom sounds good, but it matters what ski it is. If its a freeride type ski it will be a little wider and should be good. If its a more narrow, advanced ski, that would be less than ideal. There is a lot of technique and suggestions, but a lot is just to feel yourself as you keep at it. I think the biggest thing to focus on is not trying to stand up to soon...stay in a deep crouch longer than you think.

• Baller

I would recommend learning your deep water start with only two people in the boat. Skier technique aside, reduction of passenger weight will make a huge difference.

Otherwise, a18’ boat with a 115 outboard is borderline adequate power. I’ve done a lot of skiing behind outboard-powered boats.

• Baller
You dont say if you are trying to start with your back foot in or out. Important in your situation to start with it out. Having it in puts weight on the back of the ski, making it harder for the ski to get up on plane. Drag your back leg stretched out behind you, toes pointed back. Your back leg thigh will press against the water like a ski and help you get up. Rest your chest on your front foot knee to help absorb the pull (less strain on your back) and to be less likely to be pulled out the front, tho being young, strong and athletic will help that too. Its a good tip for us old folks, though.

• Baller

Welcome,

I admire your enthusiasm

Consider its better to learn to ski two skis with good posture, cocky assuredness, and get some water sense for some time before slalom ski else seriously delay your progress and enjoyment on one ski.

Don't worry your athleticism will accelerate things but one can't skip major steps without penalty

• Baller

A great tool for learning deep water starts is a rope with a deep V rope handle...so you can put the ski in the V instead of off to one side or another.... with side to side motion out of the picture just focus on trim and riding the ski up.....too much weight on rear foot will increase drag for the boat so try to put most of your weight on front foot.

https://www.the-house.com/wshradvdg15sw20zz-radar-waterski-handles.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Radar_Deep-V_Diamond_Grip_Waterski_Handle&utm_campaign=PLAs&utm_content=brand%20-%20radar&gclid=d51c5f1cf48c1bb254a73f6cbbc6ca9d&gclsrc=3p.ds

• Baller
Like @75Tique was saying, it's much easier with a low horsepower boat to get up with one foot in and the other leg extended behind you. I'll just add that you need to make sure you are not pushing against the ski. You should have your weight forward and step up on the ski. To get an idea of how this feels, find some steps and step up onto the second step. You'll notice as you're doing this, that your weight has to be forward and your other leg is extended back. It should feel the same getting up on one ski.

• Baller

Are you dragging a foot or putting both feet in?

I’m 200 lb and could get out of the water easily behind a 90HP on an 18’ boat. But I was dragging a foot.

I personally think it’s much easier to get out with just one foot in as the ski does the work and you can’t present the ski in a way that fights the boat. When I moved to 2 feet in I had a much harder time as I wasn’t letting the ski move as it wanted which meant I was now fighting the boat.

Short story... try with just one foot in.

Other option get a giant fat body ski until you master your technique to get up deep water.

• Baller
Many variables but willing to chip in to possibly help a skier enjoy the sport. Others probably more qualified to answer but here is what I would do . Possibly try different amounts of knee and back flex when you get up. I would try floating with a tight rope and your knees only at a slight bend with ski tip up in front of you. Immediately when the boat takes off keep pressure on the ski through your feet but absorb some of the initial pull by a controlled squat through your knees, ankles, possibly almost until you are sitting on your bindings with your weight still centered over the ski. By now the boat should have enough speed for your ski to start to hold up your weight and you can start to stand more upright again. Hope this helps and have fun with the processes.