Surprise, At 30mph the "22-off-bump" is everywhere

swbca

• Baller_

Finally the ice is out and the boat is in. I started free skiing a few days ago for the first time at 30mph behind a 2004 ProStar 190.

I started at 28 off and the wake threw me. 32 off was no better. I had a 120 pound driver with a 100 pound steel shot companion under the left seat

Then I looked at Terry Winter's 30 mph short line video and saw the same thing, but couldn't tell what boat he was using.

In my previous skiing life, I had double knee surgery from my 1984 Nautique wake skiing at 36mph. So I bought a 86 ProStar, which was the first ProStar and marketed as the first "no wake boat". Problem Solved.

Now its 2021, which new or newer hull is best for keeping the wake down at 30/32 mph?

footnote: the 2004 Prostar 190 has a much larger wake than the 1986 Prostar. In 1986 they totally ignored the trick skier with a very light flat bottomed boat.

o3ae096vd6kf.png

• Baller
The guys I ski with love the wake on my newly acquired 2001 prostar. They ski at 28-32 mph. I do have a 50lb weight up in the bow to keep the nose down maybe that would help in your 2004.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
@swbca I believe it is common. Primarily for improved tracking but I’m sure it helps the slow speed wake also. The previous owner installed the weight in my boat and it’s dead center at the prow of the boat.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
I found the wake on the 2004 ProStar to be large and hard, especially when teaching junior skiers. I would say a 196 SN, >2014 ProStar, or Ski Centurion would be your best options for 30MPH with Zero Off.

• Baller_
Problem with wake partially solved I dragged the ski rope behind the boat at different rope lengths to see where the handle was compared to the shape of the wake. I am now free skiing at 39.5 off for physical conditioning. At 32 mph its almost perfectly smooth. Will still have to deal with the wake when I ski longer rope lengths in the course.